CB 5036 draft fan report

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confused8122

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So this is my second heating season with my owb. Since I couldn't find much info about putting a optional draft fan on a CB, other than everyone's opinion. (an owb needs a fan, CB owb don't need one, how's it work without one?, etc)
And since I got lucky and someone else paid for my stove, I ordered the optional blower(i think it was about $100). Installation was terrible for a factory option. Fit and function were great, but the electrical connections at the door solenoid did not work. It was supposed to be 'plug and play', but I had to replace connectors with my own. First season I thought went great. No problems whatsoever, stove worked great, house was warm, I was happy, house was cleaner, and best of all, wife was happy.

So here's the second season, I decided to take blower off, and see how it works. 4 quick and easy bolts, 2 electrical connections, I can have it back on in ten minutes or less. How's it work? House is still warm, mess is still outside, I am still happy, wife doesn't know the difference.

The difference is hard to tell, I'm using same type of wood, seasoned about the same. Weather is cooler than last winter, but still warmer than it could be for winter. Smoke coming out of chimney is about the same, I don't notice more or less. Recovery time is slightly longer without blower, but not by much.

Wood, it's hard to be scientific because I wasn't, but I think I have gone thru quite a bit less wood than I did up to this time last year. (quite a bit = 1 - 2 cord) I did start with a couple more cords this year, but it was cool enough this year that the fire started October 1, instead of November 1. This year I'm looking at wood shed, trying to do math in my head, and I think I will have wood left. Last year at this time, I was thinking, hurry up spring, I'm goona run out of wood. How's that for science?
So in the end, I am pretty sure I will not be putting the blower back on, and will be staying warm just the same.

10-4, a fan on a CB blows the heat up the chimney. The year after I got mine I tried one, even went to the extent of putting rheostat on it to slow it down....that lasted only a week after I whistled thru half a cord :dizzy: My dealer has over 200 boilers out there, and he told me one guy is running a fan that he knows of :msp_rolleyes:

The natural draft works just fine. Sometimes it's a little slow to get the fire back up to temp but no blower motor to burn out. :msp_wink:

No fan here on my 5036 either. I have been a slacker a few times and let the stove almost go out because of not filling full enough, raking out coal bed or just not getting there in a timely fashion. I keep some cardboard in the garage for emergencys, it always takes right back off. I also burn all my household cardboard which helps keep the chimney cleaned up.

Latest posts

Back