Cedar TV stand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qbilder

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Built this from a dead standing cedar I cut in an Ohio cemetery a few years ago. The township trustee helped me get it off the hill and down to the mill. It's 20" deep, 54" long, and 45" tall. These pics are while it's in varying steps of finish. I joke that it got the color from the soil :msp_sneaky:

12ga. Shot shells cover the bolt heads that hold the top on.

New Mexican Alligator Juniper doors & back.

Nice work! That is some spectacular cedar. I'm always on the lookout for it, but never found any like that. Question... It appears you only applied finish to the outside surfaces. I'd always heard that this causes cupping, since one side can pick and lose moisture more quickly than the other. Is that not the case in your experience?

Nice work! That is some spectacular cedar. I'm always on the lookout for it, but never found any like that. Question... It appears you only applied finish to the outside surfaces. I'd always heard that this causes cupping, since one side can pick and lose moisture more quickly than the other. Is that not the case in your experience?

I'm not sure if it will cup or not. Time will tell. The tree was dead for as long as the trustee could remember, and he was in his 70's. The wood sat for a few years after I milled it & never moved a wink, so I trust it'll stay stable. I left the inside unfinished to get the cedar smell whenever the doors open. It smells great. If it cups, then lesson learned. Hopefully not.

Where was it in ohio? You get out here pretty often, if i remember right from some past posts. I've talked to our city manager about trying to get some local park trees when and if they fall or get cut down. So far no such luck. Great work by the way. I really like where you grab to open the doors. I don't know anything about cedar. Does the white fade out or "blend" over time?

Thanks yall :) Yeah, 20" is pretty big for cedar. It was growing in cemetery near Wellston, Ohio, near where I grew up. The color stays pretty steadfast. If anything, the red dulls a little but the overall color scheme stays the same. Here's the log & slabs when milled:

Back