central boiler chimney question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
my unit comes with 2 four foot sections (8 ft.) is that enough for a boiler that is placed 100' from the house?

Yes its plenty, as long as you figured in for the prevailing wind direction when you chose your boiler pad. I plan on reducing my pipe down to 4 inches next year in an attempt to hold in more heat/increase efficiency.

I plan on reducing my pipe down to 4 inches next year in an attempt to hold in more heat/increase efficiency.

good idea.. i just dont wont the smoke to come out and roll down.. if you know what i am talking about..

good idea.. i just dont wont the smoke to come out and roll down.. if you know what i am talking about..

There are a couple member who have done this and they did not say they had a problem with that. My stove has no chimney at all so anything I do will help in my situation

Husky man, and ant,

Remember your wood master has a blower on it, that would force the "air" out. The CB has natural draft, I have done the reducer on the Cb and it did work worth crap. With your wood master it should work awesome.

Just my 2 cents,

Yes ANT you should be fine, if not you can by the super vent 8" pipe at a HVAC place and put on.

I have a Woodmaster and I placed one additonal 4 foot section - my furnace is about 120 feet from my house and 300+ feet from any neighbor. In my observation the additonal height does not do much to cure the situations that cause the smoke to be a potential problem.

The prevailing winds take the smoke away from my house and to an area where I don't have any neighbors for 1,000 feet or more. If the winds are strong the smoke can be blown down to ground level very quickly and hopefully the woods help to mix the smoke in with the air before it reaches anyones home - I know my neighbors well and have ask them if they smell my smoke and they have all said they don't.

If the weather is nice and there is little wind - when the furnace blower first comes on the smoke goes straight up and there is no problem. After the furnace has been on a few minutes and the fire is going good the smoke is not visible and there is no problem.

When the air is damp and there is little wind and the furnace is not running and in the smolder mode - the smoke just kind of hangs around and I don't think you could get a stack tall enough to get rid of it. The smoke coming out is not very warm and it tends not to rise at all. If the prevailing winds bring it toward our house - we smell smoke. It is not a very nice smelling smoke when the air is damp.

Most of the time I have no problems and the few times I do it is very short lived. My biggest problem with smoke and smell is when the weather turns suddenly warm and damp and my fire smolders for hours between heating cycles. I tend to build small fires when I know this is happening and let the coals do the heating - but it is not always easy to anticipate when this will occur.

Back