central boiler "how do you handle the ash"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
how do you guys handle the ash in the boiler? i was thinking of one of those galvanize trash cans with a lid.

The galvanized trash can is a great idea. I bought one and placed it on top of two cinder blocks. After I empty the ash, I put the lid on and let it sit for a week or however long until I have to empty the stove again. With the lid on for so long I know the ashes are not hot and that they can be dumped or spread without the risk of starting a fire.

My wife wants the ashes for her garden - she will be trying something called Lasagna Gardening where you stack newspaper, ashes, leaves, etc. in layers and let it decompose - it is supposed to make a very healthy garden with few weeds. (Off topic)

I have a galvanized can sitting next to the furnace. I shovel out the ashes and put the lid on. After a few days I put a plastic yard bag inside of one of our old feed sacks and then shovel in the ashes. I secure the plastic bag with a bailer twine tie and then do the same with the outer feed sack. It is amazing how heavy ashes are when they are completely burned down. (On Topic)

My wife wants the ashes for her garden - she will be trying something called Lasagna Gardening where you stack newspaper, ashes, leaves, etc. in layers and let it decompose - it is supposed to make a very healthy garden with few weeds. (Off topic)

I have a galvanized can sitting next to the furnace. I shovel out the ashes and put the lid on. After a few days I put a plastic yard bag inside of one of our old feed sacks and then shovel in the ashes. I secure the plastic bag with a bailer twine tie and then do the same with the outer feed sack. It is amazing how heavy ashes are when they are completely burned down. (On Topic)

i thought i read here once that the ashes change the ph levels of the soil (or something like that) and that too much of them can render soil useless.

ON TOPIC - Be careful to cover the garbage can after you put the ashes in. One time I left it open to allow the few coals to burn out - but then I forgot to cover it for a day and the rain made a big soupy mess out of it. The mixture was acidic and attacked the galvanizing. My furnace installer said the same thing about my furnace - if you are not burning get the ashes out and cover the flue as wet ashes will attack the metal in the firebox and pit it.

OFF TOPIC - The Lasagna Gardening uses lots of things to supplement the ashes and I guess the whole mixture makes a suitable PH. Newspaper, ashes, mulch, etc. and it is all left to decompose prior to placing the seeds.

How about letting us know how that turns out? I had heard that there can be such a thing as too much wood ash in the garden that leads to heavy-metel contamination (never believed it myself).

Anyway, I spread the ashes from my woodstove after a day of sitting in a pail. They go over the icy areas of the driveway for extra traction. Works well although I have never understood why. :dizzy:

I use a 55 gallon drum and a lid. I burn my stove down every couple of weeks so I don't really get a lot of ash. Only emptied it twice so far this winter. I spread the ashes in my woods in the low spots once cooled.

It would be really interesting to know how many pounds of wood it takes to make a pound of ash, and where all the rest of the weight went. How much was moisture, how much escaped as smoke and particulates. It takes a whole lot of wood to make a little bit of ash - both by weight and by volume.

I use a metal 5 gallon pail. I empty the cooled ash into low spots that need filling, or sprinkle the ashes onto ice on the driveway and walkway.

I use them on my lawn to help sweeten the soil. I have a lot of trees and the decomposing leaves cause the soil to go acidic. I go through about 1 ton of lime a year and need all the help I can get.

4 55 gallon drums after a winter and I load em up on the trailer and dump them in the pit.
Can't do the garden thing as i always seem to end up with nails and crap in the mix.

15 Gallon

I use a 15 gallon barrel/drum next to the outdoor stove. I empty the barrel on weekends and shovel the ashes out of the stove mid-week, and real good on weekends. Then empty them about 500' from the house, where we have a brush/burn pit on the ground away from everything.

I need to find a better way of moving the 15 gallon barrel when I don't want to get my 4 wheeler and trailer out. Sometimes I use a dolly, but it does not fit on it very well. I will be coming up with something soon like a modified dolly that it fits onto better.

ash_barrel2.jpg

Latest posts

Back