Central Boiler Model 40

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdboy9

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I posted earlier about a Central boiler I was getting. Well it turns out to be a cb-40sb built in 1996. Well I was told it leaked and well it does fairly bad :)

It seems to me that the foam is causing more damage then good? I was wondering if anyone has this on their own homemade boiler and has seen the long term metal wear as compared to just using bat insulation? By looking at how the metal is rusted in huge sheets it looks like the foam is holding moisture in but I'm not sure just could be the nature of crappy steel and heat.

I have one small leak on the inside and the rest are on the outside majority of them are on the air intake side of the water jacket. Located on the bottom and/or corner weld of the bottom and side of the water jacket. I'm not sure how I'm going to fix them but I think welding in new plates over the damaged area is what I'll do. Anyone have a suggestion on the best way to go about it? Mig or stick weld? I have large mig so not a problem with the thickness, but I suck at welding.

No laughing here but has anyone tried a patch or repair with something other than weld? There are a lot of good things on the market these days as far as epoxies I'm not saying super glue but something like jb weld or similar. Anyone ever use something like that on a boiler? Like I said earlier I suck at welding just looking for an alternate to hiring a welder.

We have some good epoxies at work. (work for a airline) But I would stick with a good weld. The heat would make any epoxie hard to hold up long term.

sounds like a perfect time

to refine your welding skills. skip the epoxies. Just get some plate steel and start patching.

I took a few courses in college on welding got pretty good at ox/acet welding only because I liked it so much. Now I wish I would have focused more on other types oh well I agree time to start running beads.

This is the reason I built my own owb

I would hate to think of buying a 7-10k boiler and to have it rusted out in as few as 15 years.
My firebox is 1/2 inch wall and my outer shell is 3/8

If you have a good MIg welder use it..... MIG weld it its easy and if you have it already....I welded many CB's up using arc welders and welded my boiler with a MIG. If you weld with a stick make sure it is a DC and you us 6010 rod, it works better for boilers. Use good steel and make every thing clean....also see about sealing the top vent pipe of the boiler and where the manifolds come down seal that, and put a air chuck on it so you can put about 2 PSI of air in the boiler then spray with soapy water to find you leaks.(run on)

I would hate to think of buying a 7-10k boiler and to have it rusted out in as few as 15 years.
My firebox is 1/2 inch wall and my outer shell is 3/8

Holy cow....1/2 You need to choke that smoke stack down to a 3" flue... so you can get some heat transfer...dont you think....

I would have to agree it would suck buying this thing new and having it rust out like it did. Then again I don't know how the previous guy ran it, if he even knew what additives were...so its hard to say could have been a combination of things if its like anything else poor maintenance leads to premature failure in just about anything. There is no acuastat its hardwired to the limit switch so does that mean it ran wide open all the time?

I'll probably go with mig thanks for the input on that.

Latest posts

Back