Central boiler water quality question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead600

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Central Boiler Classic 5036 that was installed in December 2011. My dealer told me to add 1 gallon of Corrosion Inhibitor Plus on my initial filling, then use the supplied test kit to test the PH & nitrite levels. After allowing the water to circulate for a couple of days, I tested it. I didn't record the results, but if my memory is correct my PH was 9.0 and nitrite was @ 25 drops.
Now when I test my water, the PH is 9.0 and nitrite is @ 40 drops. This is the same test kit that came with the boiler 3 years ago. I should also say that this test kit has been stored in the door of the boiler, not in the house as recommended.
I have not added any water or additional corrosion inhibitor since the initial installation. I also do not use the boiler during the summer months.
Should I be concerned about the nitrite level?
Is it common for the water quality to change over the years? Or do I just need a new test kit?

Idk what the test kits cost or how much nitrite is acceptable, but for what it's worth I would be getting a new kit to confirm your results.

I have a 4030 for last 5yrs. As you, poured 1gal. of inhibitor in at initial startup. never had to add inhibitor since then as tests are within recommended specs each yr. I don't use in summer either. with all that said I store my test kit inside yr round. I would be willing to bet your problem is your test kit. you can order just parts of the kit without having to order a entire kit new. just order the liquid nitrite drops and see if you get better results. good luck and a little too much inhibitor mixture is better than too little IMO

parrothead , you havnt added inhibitor in 3 yrs? i;d say your are overdue

parrothead , you havnt added inhibitor in 3 yrs? i;d say your are overdue
Why? Ive not added inhibitor in 5yrs of winter service and all my tests are good. Is there a way the inhibitor becomes inactive or looses it's inhibiting ability?

I just bought a new CB. My dealer told me that the test kits are a joke. Apparently they're only good for 2 years max. Then they start giving faulty readings. I guess CB is aware of this.

The funny thing is, the rust inhibitor is supposed to be good for at least 4 years. So If you use your kit 4 years after you put the inhibitor in, the kit is 2 years past junk.

Get a new kit.

I have a Central Boiler Classic 5036 that was installed in December 2011. My dealer told me to add 1 gallon of Corrosion Inhibitor Plus on my initial filling, then use the supplied test kit to test the PH & nitrite levels. After allowing the water to circulate for a couple of days, I tested it. I didn't record the results, but if my memory is correct my PH was 9.0 and nitrite was @ 25 drops.
Now when I test my water, the PH is 9.0 and nitrite is @ 40 drops. This is the same test kit that came with the boiler 3 years ago. I should also say that this test kit has been stored in the door of the boiler, not in the house as recommended.
I have not added any water or additional corrosion inhibitor since the initial installation. I also do not use the boiler during the summer months.
Should I be concerned about the nitrite level?
Is it common for the water quality to change over the years? Or do I just need a new test kit?

Parrothead600 - I had the same problem when I tested the water in my E-Classic 1400 a month or so ago, I stopped counting after 40 drops and called my CB dealer. He said the stuff in the purple bottle will go bad after a while. If it looks like a brownish color or you go beyond 40 drops without a result, it's bad. I purchased a new bottle of the stuff (~$10.00) and tested my water again. It tested at 25 drops. I hope this helps. Roger

Why? Ive not added inhibitor in 5yrs of winter service and all my tests are good. Is there a way the inhibitor becomes inactive or looses it's inhibiting ability?
What he said. I did look in my owners manual and they don't say anything about needing to add inhibitor unless more water is added to the system.

Parrothead600 - I had the same problem when I tested the water in my E-Classic 1400 a month or so ago, I stopped counting after 40 drops and called my CB dealer. He said the stuff in the purple bottle will go bad after a while. If it looks like a brownish color or you go beyond 40 drops without a result, it's bad. I purchased a new bottle of the stuff (~$10.00) and tested my water again. It tested at 25 drops. I hope this helps. Roger
OK. So I guess I'm not the only one that has had this issue.

Back