Central Ohio GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Btw, weather.com is calling for 10% chance for precip with 33 for a low and 44 for a high. Looking good, will have to wear the thermals and carhartts.

Ian

Rain will not hurt us..

We played in a light drizzle here in Indiana a few weeks ago and none of us melted.

Rob, I gave everyone my #. Don't hesitate to call if you think its iffy. But if I don't call anyone its on. I think you where one that was coming in fri?

I want to race my 395xp with plain old chain against something else with plain old chain so its more apples to apples. I'm now gettin the picture that the last GTG I was at everyone racin had some special chain while I had firewood chain. Can't compare one saw to another unless they are running similar chain. You guys had some real good cutting saws that just didn't add up to what I see when I'm cutting firewood with others and their saws.
Kevin, Don't leave the race chain at home. At least I would like to see what its all about and maybe there will be a log to run it on.

Bill,

Only 4 saws I had at the last GTG had a good chain on them. All the rest including my 460 that you ran had a firewood chain, 90% off what I cut is with that saw and that same grind of chain. As long as you have decent wood you can run a decent square work chain. I know you have a grapple, as do I, so that helps keep your wood clean. I bet the 395 would really pick up from a properly sharpened square chain.

If Ralph, (Begleytree)
is by chance at this GTG,

Tell him, I wish the BEST for him.... :clap:

And I mean that from my heart !!!

:cheers:

Last edited:
Turbo, If your referring to everyday chain as square grind then I haven't ran mine yet so I don't know how much difference that is going to make compared to round grind. The chain that came with 395 looks almost square as I compared it and unless I look real close its hard to tell apart. Until the last GTG I had never even heard of square grind and when I called my local shop for it he said there was no such thing....go figure. I got mine from Baileys afterwards. I just ordered up a spool this week so I hope I like it to cut firewood as thats what I intend to do with it. To hell with racin... I got to get the firewood cut fast!

Bill, what kind of chain did you order? Oregon I assume. Full comp, skip or semi skip sequence?

I haven't opened the box yet but I think it was full comp but not oregon. I thought it was carlton

I don't know if you followed any other posts but I was really impressed ( just with my calibrated eye) with upgrading to an 8 pin rim on the SXL. Kevin, if he comes, is supposed to bring a 9 for me to try. My guess is though 8 is all it will want. I would like to see just how much torque is really there. At the last GTG it appeared 10,000rpm was all a Hommy will turn so chain speed is at a real disadvantage.

Bill,
I think youll really like it if your in clean wood. The only time I use round ground chain anymore is where wood is dirty or I know theres a good chance of hitting something in the wood (fence nails etc.) Did you order a couple dozen files or a grinder with your chain?:D

Baileys said when the chain gets dull to just round grind and continue on like regular chain. I might try hand filing a time or 2 though.

I want to race my 395xp with plain old chain against something else with plain old chain so its more apples to apples. I'm now gettin the picture that the last GTG I was at everyone racin had some special chain while I had firewood chain. Can't compare one saw to another unless they are running similar chain. You guys had some real good cutting saws that just didn't add up to what I see when I'm cutting firewood with others and their saws.
Kevin, Don't leave the race chain at home. At least I would like to see what its all about and maybe there will be a log to run it on.

wkpoor, Just so you know what you were watching at the gtg in the south in the spring. I only had 3 saws with race chains on them back then.

084 had race chain.
066 had race chain.
modded 5000+ had race chain.

stock 5000+ has stock stihl RS.
357xp had stock square that was machine sharpened.
7900 had stock square that I had tried to hand file.

Whats it looking like down your way? I am still feeling pretty chitty up here.

Last edited:
kevinj---what do you mena by what you said?

no he is not dead, and no we can't make it this time around. sorry guys

Back