Central Ohio GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well guys I think the weather is going to hold. There is a very slight risk fri night and then late Saturday night. But sat day looks party cloudy.

Now back to this chain topic. You guys keep telling me nobody had any special chain but in fact you weren't running firewood chain which is my main point. Maybe it won't make any difference running better chain but basically me and Earl brought knives to a gun fight cause we had plain old round chisel like you would buy at your local hardware store and I don't remember if they were even sharp especially by your standards.

I checked today and it is indeed Oregon chain square chisel I bought. In order to really compare I plan to be ready to make identical chains for different saws and then see if its the powerhead or the right combination of power speed and chain type. I've already noticed a difference using skip tooth on just the 20" bar vs full comp. Hopefully the 395XP like the full comp as thats what the spool is.

Well guys I think the weather is going to hold. There is a very slight risk fri night and then late Saturday night. But sat day looks party cloudy.

Now back to this chain topic. You guys keep telling me nobody had any special chain but in fact you weren't running firewood chain which is my main point. Maybe it won't make any difference running better chain but basically me and Earl brought knives to a gun fight cause we had plain old round chisel like you would buy at your local hardware store and I don't remember if they were even sharp especially by your standards.

I checked today and it is indeed Oregon chain square chisel I bought. In order to really compare I plan to be ready to make identical chains for different saws and then see if its the powerhead or the right combination of power speed and chain type. I've already noticed a difference using skip tooth on just the 20" bar vs full comp. Hopefully the 395XP like the full comp as thats what the spool is.
Bill when you ran my 395 at the GTG it was sporting a 24" bar with full comp .404 chain. It pulls real good with that set-up in hardwoods. When I wear out that chain I will switch it over to .375.

Bill, we had special chain on a few of the saws we compete with. I know at least 3 of us had square ground chain there that I saw. Some "trick" and some work chain. The work saws had square ground chain to go cut firewood with, I did cut firewood with my 880 once but I think I suffered some hearing loss. Basically the work chain we ran is the same chain that you ordered but it has been sharpened either by hand or grinder, no special grinds or angles. Run it in any wood from locust to pine, no worries. When you and Brad ran my 460 it had a well used work chain, and some of Cut4fun's saws that a few had ran had the same basic chain.

Your 395 should like the full comp, what kind of differences did you see in the full comp vs skip?

Your 395 should like the full comp, what kind of differences did you see in the full comp vs skip?

The skip comparison was on the SXL and it seemed to really cut easier but that was in conjunction with an 8 tooth rim also. Maybe it was a lucky good combo. The same chain should fit the 395XP so I'll have to experiment there also. I purchased another 8 tooth for the 395 to try as well.

With some professional help I should be able to get the 395 performance respectable.

dustytools your 395 had good torque for a virgin saw.:D Running .375 should speed up your cut times by a good margin.

wkpoor If I were you I'd run nothing but full comp on my 395 up to about 32"-36", the only problem with running full comp on long bars is the fact that all of the cutters will need to be sharpened at some point.:cry:

Nada Problemo, He's got an NT grinder now. He just needs to put a CBN wheel on his Christmas list and he'll be set.

Ian

i guess we are might TRY to make it, but no guarentees. i think it would be fun to kick some butt again, only against BRAD though. LOL, just teasing ya! if we cant make it, i wish you guys all a SAFE GTG, chaps are always a good thing too!:greenchainsaw:

wkpoor I am still not feeling well and if my decision was made today. I wont make it. Will see how I feel on Friday.

I got 6 of those Stihl IPL's and Service manuals Disc made up too (to late to mail to you wkpoor, if I am a no show), if I dont show maybe Brad can make extra copies for you guys. I gave him the same copy at the spring gtg.

The latest weather shows a slight chance of rain in the early morn and then good the rest of the day. So I'm calling it a definite go. Kevin, hope your cold gets better. Going to try and get out tomorrow morn for a few more logs and the log cradles are done. I think I emailed everyone who RSVP's my # if you have any questions or need help finding me.

Looks like I'll be coming to this one. Going to head up to ericjeepers house saturday morning and ride out together. :clap: Looking forward to meeting some new faces and some old ones again. (that wasn't a jab Al :D) :laugh:

Kevin hope you get better and can make it.
(suck it up and get in the truck lol j/k)

Latest posts

Back