Chain grinder (amazon)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh. Yeah lol. That part sucks. But like you said, it’s better than running the vise. I think your foot would probably get sore if you had it on a pedal, and then we’d just be wishing it was on the grinder head LMAO
I thought about running a T line so I could switch it either way to try it out.

You probably could, I'll have to look/try it, never thought of that route. I always wanted to have a master cylinder on the floor run by a foot pedal, wouldn't be too hard to make.
The main reason I haven't done it for mine is I have my bench set up so I can remove my round grinders from the front of it and then I would have something else to move that I would probably want fixed to the ground or a upright on the bench so it didn't move. I have a bunch of brake masters off road bikes that would be easy to convert, maybe when I get the basement all cleaned up, I just bought a bunch of 2x4x8 which is all I needed to make a bunch of shelving down there.

If you decide to make something like that I’d be interested mine is stand mounted, are you thinking a brake pedal off a dirt bike? What about the clutch style with a lever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you decide to make something like that I’d be interested mine is stand mounted, are you thinking a brake pedal off a dirt bike? What about the clutch style with a lever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The hand brake master cylinders(the one on the handlebars) would most likely work, may need something to reduce the pressure just a tad, as they move a lot of fluid. I figured a 90 on the master to hold the fluid and then the brake handle would be the pedal. You could weld up a pedal to go into the bracket to replace the handle with a shorter throw. They have some hydraulic rear foot brakes on motorcycles as well that may work, and many of the new mountain bikes have disc brakes, not sure if they have hydraulic setups but they would be less pressure than one off a motorcycle. If I had a shop/welder here at the house I'd have already tried it, but I'm stuck in my basement stage lol.

1. If you are planning on starting a sharpening business with it, you don't want a cheap grinder. You want something you can rely on for good results.

2. Cheap grinders come with cheap wheels, which are the most important part: it would be like running cr*p chain on a good saw, or cheap tires in a nice car.

Best deal on the Internet, IMO, for a basic, quality grinder:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecomec-Co...681932?hash=item593e15710c:g:nu0AAOSwySFZfiXE

Good quality with good quality, Italian wheels, for about the price of buying a clone grinder and replacing the wheels.

Lacks the 'down angle' feature and built-in light if those are important to you. If so, go up a model from the same seller (US importer).

Philbert
Listen to this man just said. .....I’ve been running all types of machine grinders and making tooling for 40 years.
Had chain grinders for chains for about 10

You will not get good without good equipment.

And if you go cheap and then good you have wasted the money on cheap that could have bought a CBN wheel for your good.

Not saying you were going to buy cheap.

But when someone asks price range and you say reasonably priced.......

Reasonable for a Silvey round grinder is $200-500 depending on model.

So shoot a price range and folks can guide you to what will help you best.

Are you getting a CBN wheel? Do it. Maybe not at first. But it helps

I notice with some who make a living grind too much off the teeth. This is why I hand file my chains. I try to make the chains last as long as possible. Unless there hitting the ground and rocks.
Then they don’t know how to grind.
A grinder can make a chain last just as long.

I had a Oregon $400 chain grinder decades ago I picked up on clearance for $175. I used it two or three times. I learned to look over the saw teeth for the worst one to adjust the grinder on. Then make them all the same.

I hit a pipe inside a tree with a brand new 2100/24”/404 chain. That killed a few teeth. I purchased Oregon chain repair kits and changed out the bad teeth. I ground the new teeth the same size as the old teeth.

A chain saw chain grinder is a gotta have, sooner or later you will need it.

Latest posts

Back