chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pea

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm wanting a bench mounted chain grinder. Baileys has what they call pro chain grinder. It don't say the brand. Its $259.00 and says it will work on all saw chain styles and sizes. Is this a good one? If not could anyone recommend a good one for around the same price.

I'm at the stage that I should probably be thinking of getting one TOO (OK Mike?). What about a Silvey?

So what makes a Silvey so expensive over an Oregon? Are they that much better? I certainly don't know much about grinders.

I was just on Madsens. What a contraption that Silvey is! I was always under the impression that grinders were simple things with a motor, adjustable angle base and a grinding wheel. That $1800 (??!!) Silvey looks like it belongs on the space shuttle.

Hi Doug, the Silvey 510 would be the one for you if you are just going to do your round ground. For an entry level square grinder the Razur Sharp II is a very nice machine. Both of these models are in the ballpark of $600 retail. Twice what it costs for an Oregon, Tecomec,...., but worth every penny if you want the best and reversable also. The large diameter wheel and the way the Silveys are constructed eliminate some of the aggravation of getting the grinder set up just right for both sides of the chain. Something to watch out for on those new hydraulic clamping Oregons etal, is that the vise does not tilt 10° for proper sharpening of chisel chain. I think these new grinders are for a production environment where the saw tech is just slam banging "sharpened" chains out the door. Russ

Back