Chain Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggenius29

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am looking at for a chain sharpener/grinder. I did a few searches and came across 2 of them, one was one from Norther Tool for $100, I searched and came up with a link with 50 pages on it and right now dont have the time to read all of that. Is that a good grinder or not?

I just got my Hotline catalog from Northern Tool and they have the 511a for $300 and the model below it for $150

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_351196_351196

Are the Oregon grinders that much better? I want something that will last me a lifetime. I right now have 3 saws with 3 different chains. A 14" picco, a 20" .325 and a 28" 3/8" chain. I will use this grinder of but not the amount a dealer will use it. I guess I just want the best bang for my buck, if it is the most expensive one, so be it, but if it need not be then so be that.

Lots of good stuff in those pages, and in a bunch of other posts on the topic.

If you want the 'quick and dirty' - you get what you pay for. The Oregon is not the most expensive grinder or the best one out there. But it and it's relatives (same grinder sold under other names) are generally considered a solid item. Plus, because it is so common, you can find parts for it from many vendors.

You can probably find it on eBay for less.

Philbert

IMO best grinder hands down for speed and efficiency Silvey 510 but it is twice the price of the Oregon and 7 times the price of the Northern.

For a guy at home grinding for three saws.... Save some money and get the northern, read the pages here and make the mods to it and it will serve you well for many years to come, probably the rest of your days..... best bang for your buck.

Pick up a good used Simington or a Silvey. Go square my man if you go grinder, period. Ya more money, but more performance as well. If you got CAD really bad, a hot grinder should be just as important, bar none!

well some might ridicule me for this but what the heck you can go to harbor freight and in my opinion a good grinder/sharpener for 38$ thats what i got my for. mine has never let me down yet and its not the most accurate angle marks because it is just molded but between 17 different saws it does a great job.

I have a Silvey 510 , Tecomec super and a Silvey Swingarm .......Forgot the Maxx thats sitting idle .......

The 510 seems to do a great job......

Last edited:
I use a MAXX Pro grinder with auto mechanical vice lock and it does a really neat job (I have a side business selling Carlton/GB gear and fixing/sharpening chain). I nearly got the Oregon workshop one with the hydraulic vice lock but then heard from the Oregon rep that they occasionally leak (very rare though I've found out since). They were also AUD$100 dearer. The big benefit of the better workshop type grinders in my opinion are;

1) Solid alloy frame (minimal flex). My cheap plastic one from China flexed like mad. It did an OK job but you simply CANNOT compare the cheap grinders to the workshop grinders.
2) Slower RPM grinding speed (less heat but still have to be careful).
3) QUIET! (When the other half is asleep you can grind at midnight).
4) Spares easily available.
5) Can do depth guages easily and quickly (cheap ones can't).

The benefit of the MAXX over the Oregon is that you can grind into the cutter. I like that idea as you're less likely to overheat the cutting edge if you get a bit careless (To be honest though its not that big of a deal). I've found when grinding away from the cutter I've tended to overheat the odd leading edge, but only when not concentrating.
The problem I have with my MAXX (maybe not other MAXX's?) is that when adjusting the grinder from a left to right cut you then have to reset the cutter length setup and grinding wheel depth again. Thats the only complaint I have even though its only a 30 second job. It should be completely symmetrical I would have thought and no adjustment should be needed when changing sides?
When I get a second grinder for the workshop however it will be the Auto lock Oregon. The local Husky dealer has one and they're a very nice unit.

Last edited:
I just bought the Oregon Bench-Mount Chainsaw Chain Sharpener — Model# 108181 from northerntool.com a month or so ago and seems to be working fine for me. Simple to use but not as crafty as the more expensive grinders. For me though instead of traveling and waiting a week or so for a chain to get done it works.

I recieved my hotline catalog last week too and just the other day ordered the 511A grinder. It should be in today, looking forward to sharpening my chains.

I bought the Nothern Grinder a few weeks ago and am pretty happy with it, didn't have to clean up the castings, maybe the quality control has improved? The only complaint which everyone says is the wheels that come with it are cheap. The middle size one for 3/8 chain vibrates so bad that I really can't use it. The other 2 are ok, but I will pick up some Oregon wheels in the near future. Even getting it shipped to Canada it was the best deal I could find. An $89 grinder ended up costing $170 Can by the time I was done.

I bought the Nothern Grinder a few weeks ago and am pretty happy with it, didn't have to clean up the castings, maybe the quality control has improved? The only complaint which everyone says is the wheels that come with it are cheap. The middle size one for 3/8 chain vibrates so bad that I really can't use it. The other 2 are ok, but I will pick up some Oregon wheels in the near future. Even getting it shipped to Canada it was the best deal I could find. An $89 grinder ended up costing $170 Can by the time I was done.

I got the northern grinder,just this week,and my middle wheel shakes bad too,the small when it came with was broken,I need that for my .325 chains. What kind of wheels are best and where do you get them? I have sharpened 3 chains so far, i like it ,for my own use i think it will be fine.

I've got a Speedsharp which is an Italian 511A. Think Tecomec's are same company too. Anyway, they all work as well (not sure about those $39 jobs) as the operator setting them up. The key too sharp grind is skimming off as little as possible. I hit the rakers (again just a hair) every 4-5th grind also. The one mod I've done on mine is rig up a dual pole switch so I can reverse the motor. Pin sharp chains make all the difference. Good Luck.

I got the northern grinder,just this week,and my middle wheel shakes bad too,the small when it came with was broken,I need that for my .325 chains. What kind of wheels are best and where do you get them? I have sharpened 3 chains so far, i like it ,for my own use i think it will be fine.

There is a lot of talk on this in other threads but from what I have read the Oregon wheels are good, Northern sells them as well or any place that sells Oregon products should be able to get them. I almost clicked on them when I ordered the grinder, I wish I did.

I usually never buy the most expensive or the cheapest. The 511A was the middle ground for me and so far I have not been disappointed. It seems pretty stout.

grinder

i have a harbor freight grinder. the first thing i did was to remove the flimsy chain stop. i also revered the wiring. i still use it for training chain grinding. i upgraded to Efco jolly star . the biggest thing with grinders is take your time and learn how to use it.

:givebeer:

I got the Oregon 511ax last year...

Read alot about grinders,,and figured I wanted something that would last me a lifetime so thats why I picked that model...Would serve all my chain needs,,and I dont grind chains everyday...
Bushings on a chain grinder is the most important thing I would look at and if a model was plastic case or metal....
Good luck on your search!!!! :)

Right now I am looking at 3 of them. The Northern one being the cheapest for $100, then there is the Oregon 108181 for $150, or the 511a for $300.

Is there a big difference between these 3? $100 compared to $300 is quite a jump, but if the 511a is that much better and it will pay for itself in the long run than I am ok with that.

If I had a choice it is looking like the 108181 or the 511a because I get free shipping from Northern, and I would think that by the time I get the Northern grinder shipped it will be dumb near $150.

Right now I am looking at 3 of them. The Northern one being the cheapest for $100, then there is the Oregon 108181 for $150, or the 511a for $300.

Is there a big difference between these 3? $100 compared to $300 is quite a jump, but if the 511a is that much better and it will pay for itself in the long run than I am ok with that.

If I had a choice it is looking like the 108181 or the 511a because I get free shipping from Northern, and I would think that by the time I get the Northern grinder shipped it will be dumb near $150.

I got the northern grinder for $89 on sale a few weeks ago.

i have a harbor freight grinder. the first thing i did was to remove the flimsy chain stop. i also revered the wiring. i still use it for training chain grinding. i upgraded to Efco jolly star . the biggest thing with grinders is take your time and learn how to use it.

:givebeer:

=====

Explian please, reason for this???

Latest posts

Back