Chain Grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Grinder ~ $350 price range

• Oregon

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Maxx

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Tecomec

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • ?

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
I used to think I could get a better edge with a file than a grinder until I figured out how to really use one, now all of my chains are super sharp, and as long as I'm not cleaning up a rocked chain, it takes just a couple taps on the grinder to freshen it up once I have all of my angles established. And I don't grind any of my teeth the same length, I find it wasteful especially if a new chain gets rocked, so I set each raker individually by hand so I don't have to worry about them all being the same length.

I still hand file from time to time, but the grinder is for chains that have stacked up over time.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
I hear you on those teeth that needs cleaned up and end up shorter than the rest of them. I'm not sure what the best solution is but it seems like tough to get them all the same length again.

I hear you on those teeth that needs cleaned up and end up shorter than the rest of them. I'm not sure what the best solution is but it seems like tough to get them all the same length again.
Yeah that's why I set rakers by hand. I'll sharpen all the other teeth, then go back to those, clean them up individually with the grinder and then manually set the rakers so it doesn't matter if they are shorter, they still cut.

I have a couple paint pens I use one to mark the start and different color to mark out the problem areas. Good sharp chain saves a lot time at the end of the day. I'm not sure what the best solution but I see your way makes sense. It would be interesting to do a search on chain maint/care and just see what others do. One reason I like changing chains is I can check the oiler path on the bar and adjust the tension to minimize the heel wear on the bar...keep the chain running straighter.

I'm the same way, I just swap chains, not time for me to be filing out when I'm working, I'm also never too far from the truck so I can get away with it.

As for what others think, that's a big debate that can get nasty real quick lol

Good advice...I won't ask. So how do you store your chains? Back in the day we just throw them in our work packs. Now I put my sharp chains in labeled plastic containers, I use a cheap HF tool bag to carry my tools, extra wedges, mix oil, a couple rags and the chains I need ... I'm close to the truck to. I drum or skid everything down to the road if I can. I should get another pack I've been working some of my timber on steeper ground, I can't get to some of this ground a with truck. The bag works but the pack makes life easier in these cases. But for the most part I mostly I help my dad cut firewood a lot of it is decked drive right up to it.

Back