chain identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ludlowbay

Reaction score
Hi - I have a Stihl 271 Farm Boss that takes chain with the number 3634-005-0081. I have a chance to purchase a bulk quantity of 3689-005-0081. Can someone tell me the difference in these two numbers, please?

They are both 81 drive link loops of RM3 chain, green label 0.325 pitch 0.063 gauge. The #3634 is on the Stihl website and in my paper catalog 2012. My guess is that the 3689 is an earlier variant. Maybe it is like you say in post 4 one is distributed in clear plastic and the other is made from loops at dealerships and put in cardboard boxes. From the pictures (ones I found in about 5 minutes) the bumper drive link and the features to help oil seem the same. I got a roll on non current number 1/4 inch pitch chain 13RM 3856 not the 3660 in the book and have not worried about it.

If it was a roll the last four digits in those numbers would be the number of drive links, 1848 for 100'

Sometimes manufacturers will change part numbers so they can distinguish between identical products they make at different locations or on different assembly lines. So, as in this case, you have two virtually identical chains that were likely constructed at different locations or on different factory machines, or.....by a different supplier. For example, if any of you guys shop for cheap tools at H.F. they sell a little 2-stroke 800 watt 120V generator. If you look at their sale ads you will notice two different listings for that same generator....and on further inspection you will see there are two different HF item numbers. Turns out those little gennys are manufactured in two different Aisian factories. Close inspection reveals very VERY minor differences between the two. As for the subject saw chain, I would not worry about the number difference. As Harley T stated, just focus on making sure you replace the chain with one that has the same pitch, gauge, and drive link count. Cutter type is not important for fit purposes, only for the type of cutting you will do. Stihl chain, no matter which number, is always really good chain! So, if I were you and I had the opportunity to buy those chains with the other number at a good price, I'd do it! I have one of these exact chains hanging on the wall of my shop NIB. Now I've got to go see which number it is...just because I'm curious!:D

I just pour in a couple of tablespoons full of cooking oil in every 5-gal can of gas! Has worked for years in every brand new saw I purchase! Now if I can just figure out which AM airfilter I need use so my saws will quit blowing up!

Latest posts

Back