Chain interchange question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I did a search but was not lucky in finding an answer. My Poulan 2800 saw was factory supplied with a 16 inch Oregon 33SL-66 link chain, .325 x .050.

Can I use any other type of 66 link chain as long as it is .325 x .050?

For general firewood cutting and taking down smaller trees up to maybe 12 to 14 inch diameter is any type of chain more recommended than what I have?

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Alex

Pretty much, Yes, as long as the chain you buy is .325 pitch, .050 guage and has 66 drive links you can use pretty much any saw chain. I have a newer Poulan (actually a craftsman, but made by poulan) I use carlton, oregon, and I think I might even have a Stihl chain or 2 for it. As long as it matches your chain now as far as sizes go, it should work.

That's a blue label Oregon safety chain. You could try running some Oregon 20LP or 95VP with that setup, or Stihl 23RS, like you said, as long as its .325X.050 w/66 links. It'll cut a lot better, but don't do that unless you are pretty experienced with a chainsaw, since this will increase the kickback potential.

Latest posts

Back