Chain keeps turning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

time warp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 025 has developed a problem, the chain keeps turning when at idle but only after the saw is warmed up. If I set it down on a piece of wood it stops. I'm not a chain saw tech so can some one tell me the fix for this???? Thanks

Idle speed may be to high, might be a sign of an air leak.

Clutch springs may be getting weak.

Clutch drum bearing may need grease.

I worked on an 028 that the chain kept spinning on. It would make a ping sound every so often. Turned out that was the clutch springs getting weak and letting it grab. :)

I just replaced a clutch drum in a 670 Super II that welded the drum bearings.

Owner thought the saw was locked up because he couldn't pull the rope with the brake engaged.

I'm no saw pro, but I'd suggest tightening up the tension on the chain. I've learned that loose chains can be dangerous especially in little stuff), and they will also move at idle when warm. If you think about it, when a saw is running, the rpms create amazing centrifugal force, so even though you think its too tight for the engine to move, the chain will still hover on the bar when wide open.

Sounds more like weak clutch springs to me. The bearing occasionally will stick from lack of lubrication also in which case a little most any oil (motorcycle chain oil penetates and sticks good ) squirted on the end of the bearing inside the clutch hub will free it up and provide enough lubrication for it to work properly until you have it apart and give it a light coat of grease.

Thanks guys, Ill have a closer look at it tomorrow. Too many family things today going on//// :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back