Chain Recommendation for MS 361 "Big Brutus"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon1189

"Da Smiley King"
Reaction score
I am mostly cutting 12 inch or less dead trees and limbs with Brutus my Stihl MS 361. I cut mostly apple, pine, mountain ash, burch, and maple in residencial subdivsions. I have a 20 inch bar with a 3/8 inch RSC 72 yellow chain :chainsaw: Is there a better chain that I should be using on Big Brutus? I am looking for speed and chain sharpness longtivity :cheers: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

I am running 16" .325 on mine. I have some Stihl RS, RM, and Oregon LP. The LP is 2 seconds faster than the Rm in 8x8 poplar. Im also running a 9 tooth sprocket. But I an going to switch over to an 8 tooth. Id like a little more grunt from the saw.

If you are looking for longevity in the sharpness, you need to switch over to a semi-chisel cutter.

Also, if you are in 12" or less, you are wasteing HP pulling 20" of chain.

CaseyForrest said:
I am running 16" .325 on mine. I have some Stihl RS, RM, and Oregon LP. The LP is 2 seconds faster than the Rm in 8x8 poplar. Im also running a 9 tooth sprocket. But I an going to switch over to an 8 tooth. Id like a little more grunt from the saw.

If you are looking for longevity in the sharpness, you need to switch over to a semi-chisel cutter.

Also, if you are in 12" or less, you are wasteing HP pulling 20" of chain.
I know about the 20"...........I asked for a 18" bar when I bought the saw new......but the dealers was out at the time :mad: Should I buy a 16inch bar and chain for Brutus? If yes........Which setup should I go with? Would I need a different sprocket from the factory one? All opinions are appreciated here :clap: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Talon

Since you are already set up for 3/8, you may as well stick with it. You wont need a different sprocket if you stay with 3/8, just a 16" bar, and the correct length chain.

The only reason I have .325 is because that was the bar I already had.

Lakeside53 said:
If you put a 16 on it, have the dealer check the WOT rpm..
Should I stay with the RSC chain if I go to a 16"? Would "Brutus" my MS 361 possibly overive and blowup with a 16" bar and chain without an adjustment ?? :bang: Thanks :hmm3grin2orange: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Last edited:
Stay with the RSC. Yes, you could pick up 500 -1000 plus and exceed the max rpm, but that is under your control (Technique) ... Best to get it checked and reset as required though

Lakeside53 said:
Stay with the RSC. Yes, you could pick up 500 -1000 plus and exceed the max rpm, but that is under your control (Technique) ... Best to get it checked and reset as required though
Alright How would you blow up your saw by putting on a smaller bar?
what is max rpm on a 361.
If I get rpm gains by a muffler mod does max rpm change?
Now if I port it out does that change max rpm?
I understand you can lean a saw out and blow it up.

manual said:
Alright How would you blow up your saw by putting on a smaller bar?
what is max rpm on a 361.
If I get rpm gains by a muffler mod does max rpm change?
Now if I port it out does that change max rpm?
I understand you can lean a saw out and blow it up.

You can reduce the load enough to raise the RPM's sufficiently to cook the saw, without adjusting the carb. That's why Andy says technique is so important. The saw's performance and hp output are the same, but the load is less, so it'll run faster and you need to know to not run it too fast. Running too fast is bad, as you know.

Max RPM is more indepth. Yes and no. Mod your muffler, and the saw will likely run faster, but there's still limitations. A ported saw can run faster, but there's still limitations. This is where common sense and experience come into play. I'll let someone who knows more about internal performance elaborate.

Ok Tallon, this is Big Brutus:

attachment.php

This is not:

attachment.php

Andy

talon1189 said:
Should I stay with the RSC chain if I go to a 16"? Would "Brutus" my MS 361 possibly overive and blowup with a 16" bar and chain without an adjustment ?? :bang: Thanks :hmm3grin2orange: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon
Lakeside53 said:

Exactly!

Those two posts in combination tell the true story!

See, we agree again, Lakeside! :rockn: :rockn: :blob2:

Last edited:
I don't think the HP loss to 12 drive links floating in the air is gonna make or break you. The 20" bar isn't hurting anyting and the difference in 12" wood is gonna be hard to measure w/o time lapse equipment and perhaps of less practial value than the 4" of extended reach of 20" bar...

But it is handy to have a spare bar to move the powerhead to in case one get's pinched or otherwise compromised...

I keep an 18" on my 361 - the balance is nice. It came w/ a 20 but I took it back and swapped it for the 18 after a few days. I've picked up a 16" and a couple of used 24" bars along the way that I can use on it as well. Just sniff around and you'll find a spare bar and chain soon enough.

Chaser

wagonwheeler said:
I keep an 18" on my 361 - the balance is nice. It came w/ a 20 but I took it back and swapped it for the 18 after a few days. I've picked up a 16" and a couple of used 24" bars along the way that I can use on it as well. Just sniff around and you'll find a spare bar and chain soon enough.

Chaser
Wise guy, I also use an 18" for felling and some bucking, and the balance is perfect.

For limbing and most bucking I use the 15" that came with the saw (standard even on the 660 here :bang: ) - with 7 or 8-pin, depending on my mood. :laugh: :laugh:

Most chain is 36RSC, but I keep one 36RM for each bar, for the odd dirty log and stumping.

Last edited:
Hmmmm........Maybe I will pick up a 16 inch bar and chain setup for Brutus :popcorn: Bigger saw could be named Garganuian, Big Thor, The Orange and White Giant, or King Kong! :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: I really have no use for a 20 inch setup :jawdrop: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Back