Chain Sharpening issue...driving me nuts!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this happen occasionally. When my file “chatters” on a cutter it’s always on the first stroke. When it happens I try to put more pressure and run the file slower. One slow hard pass breaks through the hard layer. No big deal and never thought much about it. All I use is Oregon files. Now that I think about it, it probably is more common in coworkers saws that have been ground and likely cut with when dull. And when using a dull file.

Not a good pic..looks like it has no Gullet!
Get a new round file & don't be touching the file in the gullet on the back stroke, they last longer but not forever & will eventually stop cutting & skate across the tooth without doing much.
Thanski

You will still encounter a hardened tooth or raker every once in awhile on some chains. (maybe one or two)
Just slow down and sharpen it them normally even though the filing feels like its going across glass. Rotate the file a 1/4 turn and try for feel again.
Rotate and clean the file every once in awhile. A really hard tooth can ruin a file also.

I've got the electric type grinders but never use them. I always just hand file and look very closely at the first tooth I sharpen to see if looks correct instead of sharpening all teeth first then looking when it don't cut.

Latest posts

Back