Chain tension release?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revdocjim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My Stihl instruction manual says, "Always release tension on the chain after finishing work. The chain contracts as it cools down. If not slackened, it can damage the drive shaft and bearings. Properly re-tension the chain before using the saw again. "

I confess, this is new to me. How many of you seasoned workers do this regularly?

Well this is good information for me. I promptly went and loosened the chains... Now I just hope I can remember to retighten them next time I use them...

My question on this, seems obvious…

When I’m cutting all day, I’ll shut the saw off numerous times, sometimes 30-60 minutes, especially if changing saws for limbing, moving brush or getting lunch.

The chain is often cold again before I start the saw up.

What is really the difference between this and storing with an unloosened chain? Is there some pressure/time curve to be concerned about, which isn’t met by the multiple cool down periods throughout the day?

I'm not going to adjust the chain every time im done cutting wood and I dont have to as my chains have a little bit of slack in them at all times.

Same here. I generally run them such that there's just a little "hang" in the chain in the middle of the bar on a cold saw (maybe 1/16" or 1/8" between the tie straps and the bar rails) ... enough so that it's not "tight" on a cold saw, but not enough slack after the chain warms up to need to tighten the chain.

This is probably "looser" than recommended, but at least I don't have to worry about loosening the chain when I put the saw away.

It's only an issue if you adjust your chain tension when the chain is hot and loose after cutting for awhile. If you do, then it will be too tight when it cools down and should be loosened before it cools. If you only adjust the chain when it is cold, it should not need to be loosened when you stop cutting.

FWIW, not really an answer to the question asked, but this thread is as good a place as any to mention it again: Somewhere here on arboristsite, I read about someone who said he would adjust his chain tension, then clamp down the bar nuts real good, then back off the chain adjuster a hair, so that the tension would never be on the adjuster itself (except when actually tensioning it)...the bar nuts would supposedly hold the tension afterwards.

Does anyone else do that besides the guy who posted up about it? I never tried it, but it seemed like a decent idea...

So I went back and asked my son, who is a full-time wild land fire fighter. He said they don't bother loosening every chain at the end of the day, but they do make a point of not tightening chains late in the day, especially when the chain is hot.

Latest posts

Back