Chainbrake optional---fatal mistake 266xp--Complacency is just around the corner!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 028 never had one. It has the optional heated handle (which is nice in the winter time here) but no brake. The black brake handle is there but connects to nothing. 40+ years and still runs like a scalded dog. Of course I opened up the muffler 20" bar with full chipper chain. Back when saws were built to last. No plastic except the shroud. All alloy. My 075 and 090 shelf queens have no brake either.

My 028 never had one. It has the optional heated handle (which is nice in the winter time here) but no brake. The black brake handle is there but connects to nothing. 40+ years and still runs like a scalded dog. Of course I opened up the muffler 20" bar with full chipper chain. Back when saws were built to last. No plastic except the shroud. All alloy. My 075 and 090 shelf queens have no brake either.
I never ran into a situation where I needed to be saved by a chain brake when dropping trees and bucking, but when limbing and cutting at face level, I have had some close calls saved by the brake.

I hear you there! I think slashing might be as dangerous as cutting at face level [limbing]...Especially if you happen to be cutting with a dull chain [which I never like to do, but we all have done it] and you have to put a little down force on the bar as you are slashing -IE a persons left leg/shin is really close to the follow through after it goes through the cut!

I have a few scars from encounters with moving chains. Needless to say, not on my puss but on my left leg from long bars, no chain brakes and my rank stupidity. Las one took 108 stitches to close up and 404 chipper does a nice incision job. Damn lucky I can still walk though I do have a slight limp.

I own 4 bikes and they are all for sale. I find saws much safer than idiots on the road today. besides, I need the room in the shop to expand my machine tools.

This 266xp was owned by a prominent tree topper in the area. One day, he went out on his large property to do some routine tree topping work. He hit is femoral artery with this saw while high up in the tree and bled out before he could get down and died. His wife came home from work and found him there! Husqvarna had the option of a chainbrake [1980's] and many elected to delete it, thinking it slowed the chain speed down [apparently]. I thought I would dedicate a tribute to him with a restoration and some artistic flare and also as a reminder that complacency is just around the corner [or backyard in this case] for those who can easily forget they play with the most dangerous hand tool invented. I dont have any before photos, but this saw was completely stripped down and degreased, cleaned, ported, re-ringed [caber], and replaced with new rubber and exhaust mod. Obviously, this is not your everyday work saw, but could be, as the paint is a monolithic acrylic that will peel off if need be with some work, but it will be a good piece to add to the mancave shelf and a mute reminder to be safe! It runs awesome and has seen the wood too. I left the full wrap as is, because it got bent when he dropped the saw, only doing minor straightening. Well balanced, light saw [considering it is 40 years old]. MATHEW 52; 26--Live by the sword, die by the sword! BE SAFE OUT THERE! View attachment IMG_20221222_151645_800.jpg

Attachments​

• IMG_20221222_151750_030.jpg
    18.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221222_151846_257.jpg
    9.8 MB · Views: 0
I remember when i bought a new husky back in 1987 and i was a full time climber,and i took the chain break off right out of the box.I never had a kickba k,but I wish I never took it off as I still have the saw and barely use it
.I'M a firm believer in the brake. And that it saves lives. I use to love the one on my 020t.If I was wrecking out a Doug fir,I would never turn the saw off. I'd flip line up and limb it,and I'd drop the saw below me,I'd put on the chain break and keep the saw running for by chance the chain would spin and knick my rope.Iguess I didn't want to pull the cord everything I repositioned my flip line walking up the tree.Eitherway chain breaks are lifesavers.

I agree with you completely! When 'new technology' comes out , sometimes people have a tendency to question it and assume it can be a detriment or hindrance vs a life saving feature that actually does not 'slow the chain speed down'. I have been saved several times by chain brakes, mainly when cutting orchard trees at face level. One other thing I have seen some guys do is they get lazy with their top hand and hold the saw off to the side to where the chainbrake does not ever contatct their wrist and ultimately eliminating the CB feature. Be safe brother!

I agree with you completely! When 'new technology' comes out , sometimes people have a tendency to question it and assume it can be a detriment or hindrance vs a life saving feature that actually does not 'slow the chain speed down'. I have been saved several times by chain brakes, mainly when cutting orchard trees at face level. One other thing I have seen some guys do is they get lazy with their top hand and hold the saw off to the side to where the chainbrake does not ever contatct their wrist and ultimately eliminating the CB feature. Be safe brother!
I remember when i bought a new husky back in 1987 and i was a full time climber,and i took the chain break off right out of the box.I never had a kickba k,but I wish I never took it off as I still have the saw and barely use it
.I'M a firm believer in the brake. And that it saves lives. I use to love the one on my 020t.If I was wrecking out a Doug fir,I would never turn the saw off. I'd flip line up and limb it,and I'd drop the saw below me,I'd put on the chain break and keep the saw running for by chance the chain would spin and knick my rope.Iguess I didn't want to pull the cord everything I repositioned my flip line walking up the tree.Eitherway chain breaks are lifesavers.
By the way, if you hardly ever use your old husky and would be willing to sell it, I would be interested in buying it [if it is an xp].

Latest posts

Back