Husqvarna 350 vs 346 vs 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magiriano

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Husqvarna 350 vs 346 vs 359
Quote:Originally Posted by sawinredneck
Can't say anything about the new 346, I would run one before I even thought about buying one though!! I had an old 346, not my cup of tea!!!
I am not a fan of the 359 either though, I think it's a bit of a bloated pig stock. Now if you want to spend a bit on it and open it up, I guess it can be a real runner.
It comes down to what you want to cut? Theses saws are very close in size, bu not even comparable in build quality. Again I will say, I have nothing but good words to say about the 350, but now that I have gotten spoiled, if it's over 16" wood, I don't even look at that saw!!! But I have dropped 26" trees easily with it (Oak), it cut right through Hedge, and has yet to fail me!! It is ALWAYS with me when I am cutting!!!!
Now the 359, I haven't heard of anybody running over a 24" bar on it, so you need to look at you're wants and needs a bit more closely.
Do you want the extra weight because you cut a little larger wood?
Do you want the less weight because you cut the smaler wood?
Are you going to run it enough to warrant the extra weight and cost of the pro saw?
Is it going to sit in the garage most of the time and come out four or five times a year?
Think a bit, then get back to us.

Because I opened new threads about Husqvarna I didn`t really explained what do I need it for.- so far I like the 350 for it`s reputation,the 346 for it`s weight and the 359 for it`s potential.
So,
here`s the story:
In Canada I am a contractor,doing residential/comercial construction and renovations.
Although I never really NEEDED a chainsaw,there were times when I rented or borrowed one,and times when I could`ve used one for framing and such instead of my power tools.
I had a Stihl b4 while I was living in TX and I liked it a lot.Don`t remember the series it had a magnesium cranckcase.
I`m now investing and live with my family in Romania where we bought an acreage and started a construction business and a motel/camping site,also building camping cabins , patio furniture, beehive boxes,etc.
Although I like Romania and it`s simplicity it is a bit uncivilized and backwords, besides my wife and kids miss Canada,so we will probably be moving back soon.
While NOW I need this chainsaw to cut firewood because the house we live in is heated with wood stoves and for cutting 2x4 and 2x6`s when the power is out or is inconvenient to run a cable,or for pruning some trees in my orchird, in Canada I will use it in my contracting business like in wall/ roof framing , framing concrete forms, clearing up some areas where we need to build or to drive thru and the ocasional camping or wood BBQ.(unless I finally replace my gas fireplace with a wood burning one)
Although I would keep it in my tool box in my work pickup most of the time and not on a shelf in my garage,I would not use this chainsaw in Canada at least every day or to make a living with it. I learned early on in my construction career to spend the buck for quality dependable pro tools and not settle for less than Makita or DeWalt on my power tools even if I don`t use them every day so as far as my experience with home owners chainsaws I had enough of my Einhell that died in less than a year and like a Harley it spend more time on the repair bench than doing it`s job.I would more than likely use a 16'' bar however I wanna have the option of a 20'' or even a 24'' if the times calls for it.
There`s more facts to consider,while I am a small town boy that likes acreages,being outdoors and working with my hands and was fortunate enough to be able to make a career using my business studies and skills and my handy nature, so as a contractor I am both blue collar because I work with my hands and a white collar as an investor, my wife is a city girl that would`ve liked to live in a penthouse and not on an acreage,so we settled for a home in the suburbs and she does give me my space and freedom of being oudoors.Would she let me buy tools?All the time......Would she be ok with me having 4 different size chainsaw in my garage? NO WAY !!!
To conclude: am I a woodsman? No.Would I use a chainsaw to go logging? No.But I also don`t have the time to fiddle with a tool when it`s time comes.I just want something strong,dependable, low maintenance,light weight and versatile.
Attached Images SANY0155.JPG (1.06 MB, 0 views)

The 359 is the only saw out of your selection that I have much time with and I do not like it at all. The 359 and 2159 are always left on the shelf as I prefer the 036 all day long. I will take the 026 for tiny stuff over the 359 or 2159.

The case castings are thin and I have scraped many broken cases because where the anti-vibes screw on the case mounts have broken. The muffler bolts are prone to stripping out of the cylinder and need constant checking for tightness.

The carb breather setup is ridiculous and prone to leaning out way to soon in the saws life. Bad design that is further complicated by a bad carb design.

It feels heavy and awkward to me.

Wow, I guess I really do not like the 359. If you could get one really, really cheap then do it, other than that pick a different saw(brand in that size range) if you want a reliable, well built and long lasting maintenance free saw.

Back