Chains performance discussion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Glad to hear that Art is able to return to his thread, and share more of his chain sharpening wisdom with us. I know many of our thoughts are for him and his family, whishing all the best.

I just thought that opening a thread to discuss chain performance might help to clear some trafic on Art's thread, reserving the thread for art's words of wisdom and our related questions.

This thread might be a good place to discuss things like helpful tips to improve shrapening, sharpening for every day cutting, grinding vs filing, chain manufacturer discussions, technical data, exploring ideas raised by Art ect..

If this thread is of value maybe one on would also be good covering engine performance and mods.

Timberwolf

Spare chain storage

Has anyone come up with a neat way of carrying spare chains around so they don't get to be a tangled mess and dull each other. They seem to act like fishing tackle.

Frank

proctecting the chain

Hello Frank,
We usually wrap the chain in a old bath towl. It doesnt make much sense to go to all that work and then just toss it in the back of your truck or toolbox loose.
Mike Rupley(rupedoggy) told me about a fellow that showed up at the races with his saws and a attache case. he would set the case down, open it and select the chain from out of the foam that he wanted to run.
Ken

storage

Ziplock baggies, drop the chain in and it stays fresh with no rust. One per baggie and they don't do the fish tackle thing. Fuel filters and spark plugs stay fresh in baggies and the baggies hold lots of little parts ( nuts and bolts)and keep the sawdust out. The wife would not let me have her see through ziplock bowls for my chains, she wants them to pack lunchs for the kids. Peanut butter (plastic) jars hold throw balls, pencils and Karbs and pack well into a five gallon bucket. Everything has it's place and everyting is in it's place.

There are some good ideas you guys have on chain storage etc. The one aboout the attach'e case strikes my fancy. Is that guy a Lawyer or a Logger eh? Seriously thoug if you have invested a lot of hours in a pet chain you do need something that will keep it out of the weather and not jostled into a ball. I suppose if it was a racing chain you would want to keep everyone from stealing your secrets too!
Frank

Filing with paint thiner

One thing I tried was filling a small plastic bottle with paint thiner (varisol). I wash the chain in it and then dip the file in the paint thiner after filing each tooth.

The small metal chips from the filing get caught in the matrix of the file and the file tends to skate less and leave a better edge. The metal filings dont get into the chain/bar ether.

Timberwolf

How much is too Much bend in your bar?

After dinking with a problem for a while, I think I may have chased it down. I was noticing when making a cut that the rpm would really drop when the top of the bar and chain entered the cut. Even when I was trying to keep the chain centered as well as possible in the kerf. The saw wasnt cutting off to either side. Bar rails were square and groove nice and tight. Another new chain did the same. I noticed if I cut out near the tip it wasnt as noticeable. Experimented with more and less tension on chain thinking of lateral whip in chain causing it to cut onside of kerf on the top. I had noticed a very slight curve in the bar but thought too little to mater. I decided to attempt straightening but was concerned about popping spot welds on darn laminated bar. The bend was only about 1/16 inch in a twenty inch bar so I worked it pretty well out. Now there is virtually no slowing down wnen the top of the chain enters the cut. I assume that the tension of the chain was trying to make it go in a straight line and the bar was fighting it. Have ordered a new bar as I believe this one though now straight has a slight twist.

Frank

Back