Chainsaw Advice for a Beginner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am new to the world of chainsaws but would like to acquire one since I ended up having to rent one on several occasions last year when small tree removal jobs came my way. The saw will not be used everyday but will be used quite a bit in the spring and occasionally during the rest of the year. I have narrowed my choices down to:
Husqvarna 350, 351, 346XP or Stihl 026. I am leaning towards Husqvarna as they seem like a better saw. However, I have heard that the 350 and 351 engines are not commercial grade since they don't have dual piston rings. Is that true? In the opinion of all of you professionals out there, which saw is the best above? Also, do I really need a professional saw for my needs?
Thank You

No, you do not need a commercial saw for your needs. it would be a waste of $$$. To say that Huskys are better than Stihl is impossible, because each makes models that are better than the other's in different classes. I think many will agree that Husqvarna makes a better saw than Stihl $250 - $350 range. The Stihl 025 is a piece of junk, the 026 is nice but runs $450, and the 029 is nothing but a boat anchor. My advice is to get a Husky 55 or a 351. The 55 is a little cheaper and more durable in my opinion. The 351 has less vibration. Good luck and be careful. Oh yeah, either will work best with 18 or 20 inch bars and 34LG Oregon chain

My spin on this is to decide how long you want the saw to last. If you get a commercial unit, it will cost you more, but in the long run it will outlast a residential model. To put it plainly, buy the best saw that you can afford. I am still using a Husky 162SE that my dad bought in 1980, and I have logged (pardon the pun) MANY hours on that machine and it still works great.

Alan

I agree with Huskyman in that the 55 would be a fine saw for your application. I have had two of them and may purchase a third if I can't find another 262XP soon. Maintain it properly, an 18 or 20 inch bar and you can't beat it with a stick.

Howdy,

My advice would go along the line of the 55. I might add, that if you can get a good used saw, you might be better off than buying a new one. Beware of saws that have been in professional service however. Best to find a good model that has been mainly in storage, and to make sure it starts and runs well. From there on, the results are up to you and how well you take care of it, such as never leaving fuel in it and always using top grade gas and mix oil.

One big reason for shying away from new current models, is those ???? EPA carburetors that are on them these days. The ones with only single adjustments, such as on the 026 now, are sure to be nothing but trouble down the road.

Regards,
Walt Galer

yep - definately go for the 55/55rancher - you never know who has had your "new" used saw before you. start off with a clean slate and take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. the 55/55 Rancher is one of the best value for money saws out there - if not the best.

Back