Chainsaw: Chain tension problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
runbikeman

runbikeman

My Stihl 028 Wood Boss is giving me my first major problem in over 20 years.
(It has been a GREAT saw and starts fast every time...love my saw).

The chain tension started changing while sawing.
It started fine but then it got so tight, the chain would barely turn.
I took it apart, cleaned everything, changed to a new chain and made sure everything was tight. After cutting some white oak firewood, it got so tight again, the chain would barely turn.

I will probably take it in to have it looked at(I have a great local shop).
But, does anyone have any advice for something I could look at to fix it before I take it in?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

ray benson
The Lorax

The Lorax

ArboristSite Guru
The chain tension started changing while sawing.
It started fine but then it got so tight, the chain would barely turn.
I took it apart, cleaned everything, changed to a new chain and made sure everything was tight.
Just on the off chance, did you clean the bar groove? and make sure the sprocket turns freely, I have had problems cutting old dead wood where the fie dust gets into the chain groove and packs down making the chain hard to turn.
the sprocket suffers the same fate.
I made a great bar cleaner out of an old hacksaw blade that I ground a hook into, every so often I just hook the dust out.

runbikeman

runbikeman

Just on the off chance, did you clean the bar groove? and make sure the sprocket turns freely, I have had problems cutting old dead wood where the fie dust gets into the chain groove and packs down making the chain hard to turn.
I made a great bar cleaner out of an old hacksaw blade that I ground a hook into, every so often I just hook the dust out.

Thanks....Yes, I cleaned the bar groove...it was pretty gunked up.
I believe it may be the oil access hole in the bar.
We'll find out shortly. Thanks again.

By the way, This is the first "Oregon" bar I have used(about 9 months old). Always used Stihl Bars in the past... with no problems.
I have had LOTS of problems with this Oregon bar.
The bar groove clogs up during heavy cutting where the chain stops.
I have to shut it off, take the chain off, clean it and then it's OK... but a real pain in the butt. NEVER had this problem with Stihl bars.

Anyone had any similar issues with Oregon bars?:confused:
Thanks

pyromaniac guy

pyromaniac guy

ArboristSite Guru

i use a bent paperclip that i keep in my tool box for the same purpose

danrclem

danrclem

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well,...It's all cleaned up(cleanest its been in years) and I took the bar and chain off and cranked it up.
I have no chain oil coming out at all, even when I rev it up.

So,...I assume I should take it to the shop.
Any other advice or suggestions?

I really appreciate everyone's input.
Thanks.

Nah, fix it yourself. I've never changed one but how hard could it be. Save yourself some money and learn something while you're at it.

Danny

The Lorax

The Lorax

ArboristSite Guru
By the way, This is the first "Oregon" bar I have used(about 9 months old). Always used Stihl Bars in the past... with no problems.
I have had LOTS of problems with this Oregon bar.
The bar groove clogs up during heavy cutting where the chain stops.
I have to shut it off, take the chain off, clean it and then it's OK... but a real pain in the butt. NEVER had this problem with Stihl bars.

Anyone had any similar issues with Oregon bars?:confused:
Thanks
Maybe this was due to the problem with the oiler starting to show up?
Less oil = more gunk on your chain with no oil to wash it off.