Chainsaw guide bar right on mounting bolts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcaddeo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve recently bought a Redmax GZ7100 (I believe these are 372xp clones) powerhead. I also bought an Oregon 280RND176 guide bar to put on it.

However I’m questioning the fitment of this guide bar. Before purchasing it I reached out to the support on Redmax/Husqvarna and they said a D176 bar mount works with the saw. However it’s really tight on the bar mount bolts.

Is the guide bar being tight around the bar mount bolts a problem? When I tightened it all the way the bolts seem to made a bit of an indentation on the bar. I’ve attached a picture of the “damage”.

Figured I’d post here to make sure it’s safe before using it.

Attachments

• ACDD9E75-C7A3-4388-ABB5-799F443834A1.jpeg
    ACDD9E75-C7A3-4388-ABB5-799F443834A1.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
  • E6C9CDF0-0BB1-4868-AC11-B1833545B2AC.jpeg
    E6C9CDF0-0BB1-4868-AC11-B1833545B2AC.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
So would it be a problem to use the bar I currently have? It fits on there, it’s just very snug. I can’t use the chain tensioner unless I take nuts off and loosen the bar first, then put the nuts on loosely and tension the chain and tighten the nuts all the way.

Otherwise I’m out the cost of this bar it would seem, as I doubt I can return it “damaged”…. Good thing the manufacturer told me it fits ahead of time! /s

I believe it should be a D009 mount if it's the same as the Husky's... if you've been advised incorrectly I'd be going back to that source & asking questions as they may be obligated to provide a solution.
I'd be more concerned about if the oil hole lines up correctly.
Worst case scenario you can file the mounting slot out slightly

Yeah I was also thinking about filing it out a bit. It doesn’t seem like I’d need to take off much. The oil hole seems to line up. I’ll probably give it a go tomorrow and see if oil is flowing.

I was thinking that too, trying to get compensation or something from RedMax for advising me incorrectly but not sure how well that’s going to work. I didn’t buy the saw or guide bar directly from them. Might give it a shot though.

What id like to understand, though, is: so normally the bar can move back and forth on the mounting bolts. Is this required for proper, safe, operation?

If the bar is snug and doesn’t really move back and forth (I assume it would start moving after some usage and what-not though, but still be snug) is this going to hinder the operation of my saw, or cause any safety hazards?

From a brief search online, it like like d176 bars have an 8mm slot. D009 is 9mm. If everything else lines up (tensioner, oiler) then if it were mine, I'd file out the slot enough that the bar moves freely by turning the adjuster and run it.

From a brief search online, it like like d176 bars have an 8mm slot. D009 is 9mm. If everything else lines up (tensioner, oiler) then if it were mine, I'd file out the slot enough that the bar moves freely by turning the adjuster and run it.
Thanks Ryan, that's what I'm leaning toward doing as well.

Back