chainsaw lanyard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here`s a good illustration of Buckinghams chainsaw lanyard and how it fastens to your belt.

master2.jpg

looks like it would get in the way a lot. If the climber pictured grabbed his saw as shown, he would have the lanyard wrapped around his arm when he raised the saw. Either that, or he would have to push the strap out of the way all the time to grab his saw.
I know a few guys who like the long saw lanyards, but all of them just use a short piece of old rope. Readily available and a LOT cheaper than the one pictured. That one looks too pretty to get dirty actually USING it! :p

Old Rope

My vote is for old rope. Definitely cheaper than a fancy rig like that and it doesnt get in the way while climbing especially if your rope is a couple feet long. I would hate to have my saw attached to my hip like that. I could see it bouncing with every step and that WOULD drive me nuts.

AND, if you use a lanyard with a small ring on the end and clip it to the snap on a Buckingham saddle IT WILL DISCONECT and send your saw to the ground. I miss the old kind of snap with the flat gate. One nick on that expensive saw lanyard and it is done for. lol. I buy cheap one inch webbing and sew eyes into the ends for binners. But a piece of 5/16 cord makes a cheap and usable lanyard too.

I use a lanyard I like it! but i use a double locking Biner to anchor to my belt. I learned the hard way :D

I use a 56 inch long saw lanyard. I would not climb without it. What I ment about the saw bouncing is that the lanyard pictured above is the bungee type. The saw will bounce up and down if not cliped to your saddle. :blob2:

I can't use that type of lanyard. Something about the break away ability and the fact that I chunk wood with an 044 just doesnt seem to sit right with me. Almost broke one a few years ago when I carried my 44 on it. Most of the stitching was coming apart after only a few uses. I prefer the webbing lanyards of that style. They can take a lot more abuse from me.

Originally posted by o0_TreeMan_0o
I miss the old kind of snap with the flat gate.

The saddles I'm used to wearing have always had these snaps, but the flat gate breaks off after a while. I was shown a trick years ago and incorporated it into my setup. I take a swivel snap (preferably one with over 1/2" gate) and tie it to my belt next to the broken snap (the original one with the flat gate). Using a short leash with O ring on my saw, I hang the O ring on the hook on my belt (the one that used to be the snap). Then I connect the swivel snap to the O ring as well. If my saw falls off the hook, the swivel snap will still catch it.
The advantage to this method is that it is two motions with one hand, rather than one motion with two hands. Been using it for 10 years now, and the only time I've dropped a saw is when I forgot to clip the swivel snap on it. (And the one time I crossed two live power lines with a small limb, but we don't wanna talk about that.)
I tie the swivel snap on my belt using a short piece of throw line, it's rated at 400 lbs. The swivel snap hangs just a hair lower than the factory hook (snap with broken flat gate).

I think it's backwards that most guys have the clip on their belt and the ring on their saw.

A clip on your belt will snag branches and worse, or at least as bad, snag a loaded lowering line. It also limits where you hang your saw. With the clip on the saw, you can hang it anywhere.

I think the natural progression of climbers is to better their equipment, their climbing technique, and their treatment of trees.
Trying to work through a crown without damaging small inner shoots is a challenge, so I try to stay streamlined.

I used my new lanyard yesterday and it worked great.
Unlike the picture my saw was turned the opposite way and was very well hung. :D
No problem using it and best of all ... I really looked good! :cool:

Originally posted by Kevin
my saw was ... very well hung. :D
and best of all ... I really looked good!

My my my, thinking might highly of ourselves today...

I'm happy for your saw. :D :laugh:

I've used the buckingham bungee lanyard for over a year now, it works great. The bungee keeps the lanyard bunched up where it's nearly impossible to cut. It takes no effort to stretch the bungee on longer reaching cuts. I use the small "faders" biners on each end and have re-sewn the break-away part so it doesn't come apart so easy. I only use this lanyard with small saws and switch to a regular webbing Weaver lanyard for larger saws.

I only climb part time and I bought one of these a while ago. I like it and the idea that if I mess up and some big leader takes my saw with it I'm not going too!

Back