chainsaw lanyards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
my saw lanyard is just a short nylon loop runner and a biner. i don't like having it attached to my saddle while making cuts. i get ???? all the time about it. anybody else in the same boat?

I use a dog leash myself, already has a loop on one end and a snap on thye other. look for a longer one..
plus, lol, I keep a few on the truck, I've had to tie a few dogs up with them to keep from bombing them. handy in all kinds of ways..
-Ralph

I use a dog leash myself, already has a loop on one end and a snap on thye other. look for a longer one..
plus, lol, I keep a few on the truck, I've had to tie a few dogs up with them to keep from bombing them. handy in all kinds of ways..
-Ralph

Good one Ralph...I've never thought of that....I make my own out of parachute cord and a small beaner....But the first time you hit it with the saw it's history...So I keep miles of the stuff laying around.

I use a dog leash too. And where I've done most of my practice climbing at my shop the dog can't resist to chase the branches I drop. It's the darned thing I have ever seen. The dog has sixth sense that I haven't killed him yet.

my attitude is dependant on who bought the saw.

if it's my saw you better use one.if you paid for it,you can do whatever you want.

i had a job lined up with i climber i used to use.he had none of his own equipment and was quite expensive.i didn't have a top handle at the time so i went to the nearby dealer and bought the 192.

he ?????ed and moaned all day that it wasn't an 020 or a 200.

i politely reminded him at the end of the day,if you want me to spend over $500 on a saw,you'll have to use a lanyard,not a ladder hook.no matter what saw you drop is coming out of your pay,which would you rather i buy? never heard him complain again.

I prefer a short lanyard, it's about 8 inches. doesn't bang into the legs and get hung up on limbs. try cleaning out a pin oak with a long one and you will agree. I like a longer one for crane work or pine topping.

8 inches! surely that means that you have to un clip the saw everytime you use it?

8 inches! surely that means that you have to un clip the saw everytime you use it?
Yes, but I sometimes use a longer lanyard also, (2 on the same saw). When thinning a dense tree it is much better than fighting to get the saw through all the branches.

Buckingham bungee lanyard off the centre loop in the back of my harness. Have a quick clip on either side to hang it high when climbing around.
The bungee has saved my @#$ when I got the step cut wrong on some bigger branches, the fibres caught the chain... off went the branch, closely followed by my saw, 2 seconds later haul it back up, keep working (and pay attention to my cut placement doohhh!!!)

Ha, I lost my first climbing saw that way. Cut a small limbed spar about 12' long, I over cut the far side. When it tipped it snatched the saw from my hands. The piece happened to fall over a log on the ground which made one end bounce up and just happened to hit my saw like a bat hits a ball. The saw flew back as high as I was in slow motion, streaming bar oil and gas out of it.
Very short life that saw lived.
Now I us a piece of 1/2" rope spliced to my saddle and a small locking biner to fasten the saw with. Rather than letting it dangle I clip it at my hip when not using it. Some times it is better to just drop the saw and get my hand on the piece, dispose of it, then clip the saw to my side.
I don't understand the people who leave the saw dangling on a long lanyard while they are trying to move around in a tree.

i have the 2 in 1 from baileys. i had previously just used para cord tied to a snap. i really like that you can easily clip it short or have it long. i doubt it costs much more than a dog leash too.

Ha, I lost my first climbing saw that way. Cut a small limbed spar about 12' long, I over cut the far side. When it tipped it snatched the saw from my hands. The piece happened to fall over a log on the ground which made one end bounce up and just happened to hit my saw like a bat hits a ball. The saw flew back as high as I was in slow motion, streaming bar oil and gas out of it.
Now I us a piece of 1/2" rope spliced to my saddle and a small locking biner to fasten the saw with. Rather than letting it dangle I clip it at my hip when not using it. Some times it is better to just drop the saw and get my hand on the piece, dispose of it, then clip the saw to my side.
I don't understand the people who leave the saw dangling on a long lanyard while they are trying to move around in a tree.

Didn't happen to a pic of that?:camera: :hmm3grin2orange:

I prefer a double clip lanyard, short and long clips it is about 1/4 diameter, but doesnt get much damage from the chainsaw. I have used the same one for over two years and it still works great.

Sheesh, what are the chances of that, Chainsaw baseball! Mine was chainsaw bungee jumping!
We're on the same page with the lanyard thing!

I used to do the dog leash and tear away lanyard thing. The problem that I always kept running into was that with all that slack in the lanyard it always wound up getting either cut by the saw or caught and jammed up in the sprocket of my 200. Back when I used to climb on an old weaver saddle I would simply clip my 200 to one of the clips on that old saddle and I was good to go. Once I started climbing a New Tribe that doesnt come with those clips I started simply using an old rope snap and about 20 inches of tubular webbing routed through the eye of the snap and the lanyard ring of my saw and then tied with a water. I have tried this set up with a biner before but it is easier and more fluid using the rope snap instead of having to flounder around with a tri act biner or one that is a pin lock style.

Kenn

Back