Chainsaw newbie assistance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyexpress976

nipple fritters
Reaction score
Here's the situation...Im not the newbie but a friend of mine is. He just bought a small house on 5 wooded acres, best part is the place came with a wood stove. I walked around the property with him the other day and he asked me if I could help him cut up some of the leaners and downed stuff...really shoulda been worded "I cut and he helps out where ever he can". I said sure we can knock it out...when's a good time to do it?" Now here's the interesting part, He's a long time friend and if there ever was such a thing as having to many saws, I'd be a good example. I dug my first real saw that I bought out of the shed (husky 350), gave it a once over to make sure everything was peachy, and used it a little around my wood pile. The plan is to take it over to his house to do all the cutting and at the end of the day leave it with him as a house warming gift. I got enough ammo cans, files, screnches laying around that I won't miss leaving with him either. Aside from telling him about the mandatory reading from all the professors here at A.S. University, can you fellas think of anything else I should include in the "care package"? He has safety glasses, good gloves and hearing protection. I look forward to the informative and entertaining resposes.

Here's the situation...Im not the newbie but a friend of mine is. He just bought a small house on 5 wooded acres, best part is the place came with a wood stove. I walked around the property with him the other day and he asked me if I could help him cut up some of the leaners and downed stuff...really shoulda been worded "I cut and he helps out where ever he can". I said sure we can knock it out...when's a good time to do it?" Now here's the interesting part, He's a long time friend and if there ever was such a thing as having to many saws, I'd be a good example. I dug my first real saw that I bought out of the shed (husky 350), gave it a once over to make sure everything was peachy, and used it a little around my wood pile. The plan is to take it over to his house to do all the cutting and at the end of the day leave it with him as a house warming gift. I got enough ammo cans, files, screnches laying around that I won't miss leaving with him either. Aside from telling him about the mandatory reading from all the professors here at A.S. University, can you fellas think of anything else I should include in the "care package"? He has safety glasses, good gloves and hearing protection. I look forward to the informative and entertaining resposes.

I'd leave him some chaps if I had extras. Helmet with mesh visor is a good safety item as well. If he's a real city boy make sure he knows the drill with bar oil and pre-mixing.

His girlfriend gets nervous whenever we get together for shennigans...she's amazed we always come back without needing a trip to the ER. Since Christmas is right around the corner, I thought I'd let her in on the idea and cover the safety gear.

Some quality tutorial time, outlining some basic do's and don'ts. Probably part of the plan anyway. After doing some demo cuts, have him follow suit under your supervision.

If you're bringing the user manual, tell him that reading all of the safety precautions that take up the first 2/3rds of the booklet is a required precondition of the gift - and let him know that you're available to explain further any concepts/practices he can't quite wrap his head around.

You are a good friend indeed! Rep coming your way.

The best advice I can give you and your friend is to have him watch and listen to you carefully as you work with the saw at first. Then have him give it a try under your close supervision. You might have to help him "avoid" some newby mistakes at first especially if he seems nervous handling the saw. I did this with my 24 year old college edumacated daughter this summer. I cannot believe that she actually wanted to run the saw, but she did, and learned very quickly.

Also show him how to mix gas correctly. Have him tighten the chain when you watch to give pointers. A filing lesson may be too much for the first day,,,play it by ear.

Then make sure he has a supply of beer for the afterwards story telling time! Haha!

Bob

Last edited:
Honestly, you can tell and show him everything you know about felling trees, cutting wood and properly using a chain saw, he won't learn until he does it for himself. The best thing you could do is to spend the time with him, let him run the saw and you stay close by. Make sure he's using an anti-kickback chain (at least to start) and be sure the chain brake works prior to giving him the saw. Take the time to explain it all to him prior to placing the saw in his hands!

If you really want to go the extra mile, order the Stihl safety video for him, it will cost about 15-20 bucks and is well worth it.

The biggest and best thing you can give him right now is your TIME. That without a doubt will be the most valuable thing. If you don't properly teach him to run a saw, and he gets seriously hurt you will never forgive yourself for giving him the saw........

Craig

Couple thoughts for his letter to Santa

Granberg filing jig and files
A Timberjack / Cant hook (His chains will like that one)
Wedges (Can't have enough)
Three feet of surgical tubing (It happens)
Stump Vise

i'm sure there's lots of other good stuff but I kept it short.

By the way, that was a real nice thing you did / are doing for him.

Take Care

Thanks for the advise fellas. I asked b/c Im a terrible teacher...I also learn by watching others and copying their moves. He's a pretty smart guy when it comes to power tools and such and he has used one before. He also hates having to ask for help. He was gonna move all his stuff by himself and only let me help after I volunteered three times. I'll point him over here where I know he'll be in good hands.

Christmas spirit must have kicked me a little early this year. I got the idea when I tripped over the old saw while getting something else out of the shed. Knicked my shin, a little blod, and the light bulb went off. No sense in the 350 collecting dust when he'll put it to work.

On a side not does anyone know if CAD/FAD is contagious or spontaneously generated? I know Im a carrier of both!

On a side not does anyone know if CAD/FAD is contagious or spontaneously generated? I know Im a carrier of both!

Tis both. It's spontaneous, but becomes much worse when in the company of other saw nuts. Ref. this site! I think people who come to this site saying "I've got one saw and have a question...." are secretly looking for enablers to help grow their addiction!

Get him the Husqvarna roller guide/ combi gauge tool package deal that comes with two round files and a raker file..

Or at least a file o plate and some round and a raker file.

Amen.

Chaps are worth every dollar spent at the ER and than some.

show him how to sharpen the chain and explain why you work the way you do.
ie keeping the log off the ground when you cut so you don't bury the chain in the dirt

how not to pinch the bar

etc..

Latest posts

Back