Chainsaw pressure test tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone make a tool kit to block off the intake and exhaust sides of a chainsaw to do pressure tests on? I am interested in finding this as a kit and not trying to piece it all together. I understand the rubber flap trick and have used it successfully in the past. Some saws don't have an impulse line to tie into to pressurize. I have seen plates that have air nipple lines in so that you can pressurize in the intake or sparkplug. Just curious if anyone else is looking for or has what I am looking for.

nobody that I know of makes a comprehensive pressure/vac testing kit for saws. Most get a Mity Vac and make pieces as needed. I'm sure stihl or husqvarna does but they will be brand specific and only work on so many models outside the brand they were designed for.

My hardware store had 10in x 10in rubber sheeting in the plumbing section that is easy to cut down for blocking ports. I also found that buying 1/4" Aluminum strap that is 1-1.5" wide works really well. It's easy to cut to length and drill a couple hole in for blocking ports. as far as saws without impulse barbs you have a couple options. Knock out a spark plug core and use it or buy a piston stop with a barb on the end of it. I can't even find a piston stop/lock like mine and can't remember where the heck I got it... its been too long...

You can drill down the center of any standard piston lock and then cross drill through the tongue and install your own barb on the top side. Keep in mind you will need a o-ring to hold pressure.
1_250df67d-cf32-4b4e-87e9-5d3e743bf9a3_large.jpeg

I will point out that I do not like using these piston stops for a good reason... You'll eventually pop a hole in a piston or strip the spark plug threads. I'm only showing so that people can get an idea of how to drill the center and the tongue to the left to make a channel to inside the cylinder.

I built my own test equipment in the past. I do have the spark plug block tool you are talking about. I am mostly interested in the block off plates. I guess I will have to go the homebrew route. If I was a guy with some machinist skills and plates to copy from I bet there would be some buyers on this site.

I built my own test equipment in the past. I do have the spark plug block tool you are talking about. I am mostly interested in the block off plates. I guess I will have to go the homebrew route. If I was a guy with some machinist skills and plates to copy from I bet there would be some buyers on this site.
Check out your local Dolmar dealer. Dolmar makes a tapered rubbery plastic block off plate that goes between the muffler and the engine. I think they also have one for the carburetor block off. They're tapered so you can use them on different size saws. I just used a spark plug with the center knocked out and a piece of copper tubing epoxied into it.

Husqvarna has a tool for pressure testing through the spark plug hole. P/N 503 84 40-02. Available for about $16 online from multiple sources. I use one and like it.

This is my kit I built yrs ago. Has anyone had any success testing Stihl 011s. I have 2 that wont run or run crappy. Thought for sure it was a leaky seal. I have a leak but its not at the seals. I think the exhaust is leaking but i cant see with the muffler on. So i guess i have to make a plate.

The blood pressure bulb works for about 10lbs which is fine but you cant vacuum test.

What saws are you wanting to be able to do?

I have the block off plates from stihl that fit 95% of non strato saws, dolly 5105 is one that these won't fit IIRC..... Also have the block of plates for 545,550,555,562 and 3 different spark plug nipples in stock.

A complete kit to do intake and exhaust on every modern saw would be massive but putting a kit together that would cover 95% of intakes with a rubber trapezoid for the exhaust and plug nipples for both common plug sizes is doable for $100-150 I would think.... Never thought to add them all up and see what the price tag would come to

I primarily only work on Stihl and Husky. 90 percent Stihl.

I primarily only work on Stihl and Husky. 90 percent Stihl.
Exhaust side, most every manufacturer relies on the rubber flap between the muffler/cylinder. There are a few exceptions to that...5 series husky has actual block of plates.... Dave will be able to answer just how how many different exhaust plates there are for stihl though.... Or maybe @backhoelover could answer this one..... If stihl makes it he probably has it

I am also curious if anyone has come up with a tool for testing pressure in the smaller threaded spark plugs, like on Stihl wackers? My kit wont fit and most dont have an impulse line. That would be awesome if that Tiny tac tool would fit the smaller threaded plugs.

Latest posts

Back