Chainsaw storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodeobob

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Id love to see what some of you other guys n gals do about storing and transporting saws.
What you do with collections, display them and all that jazz.

Im an over organised anal retentive mess maker.

Everything is a mess and there is stuff everywhere, bits for some half started job here and bits for a job that will never be finished over there. I go nuts cleaning up every now and again but things always seem to get missplaced along the way.

Got treated to a new saw a few years back, being the kind of guy that rarely gets anything new i thought i better do the right thing by my little McCulloch 2316av Hardware store special.
So i made a box up. An old door from the back porch that had been eaten half through by a dog, weathered and half fallen apart. A few random blocks of oregon and some short bits of some exotic Kiwi flooring. Some wood glue and a few thousand T nails in the little nail gun. Cut in some Handle holes at either end.
Never did get around to putting a lid on it. Never found a bit of ply that I thought would do the trick, needs to be strong enough so i can perch on the box and eat my lunch :wink2: Im not tight, Id lash out on a new length of SS piano hinge and some sort of internal latch.

attachment.php

View attachment 241758
attachment.php

View attachment 241759
attachment.php

View attachment 241760

Nothing gets lost (well the fuel tin did) and the saw lives all cosy in the box with all its associated bits (and a few spiders and a whole lot of dust).
Good thing if you have a saw that sees little to medium use.
Id say with a lot of use the box would get knocked around too much and fall to bits.
But you could do the same thing inside a metal tool box.

Im thinking of making up something similar for the Husky 66.
Then i can find a spot and stack the little mac box on the husky box.
Then maybe a box for the 051 but have it so it goes in with the bar off so the box isnt too long to handle and store.

I dont think the Pro Mac deserves a box.

Cheers, Bob.

Last edited:
Birch or oak plywood would be strong enough to stand on, no probs, unless you are the incredible hulk or something for mass.

If you have any cabinet shops near you, (or even better, exhibit / display shops) go over see if you can score some scraps. I have made a ton of stuff from scraps from those shops when I used to do that sort of work. They chuck out a lot of nice smaller pieces all the time.

Not here, everthing is made out of MDF or Chipboard.
Or radiata pine.
We dont have birch or oak trees.

Sometimes you can turn up ply from packing cases.
I havent really been looking lately.
I had a bit of ply here that i thought i might use, but i used it for something else and it was probably a bit thick.

attachment.php

View attachment 241780

I will find something.
Just wanted it thick enough that it would span with a bit of weight without flexing as that would spread the box and bring its strength into question. Say half inch thick or there abouts.

New Shop storage

Temporary storage until I can get some shelves built.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Shop starting to take shape
attachment.php

Not here, everthing is made out of MDF or Chipboard.
Or radiata pine.
We dont have birch or oak trees.

Sometimes you can turn up ply from packing cases.
I havent really been looking lately.
I had a bit of ply here that i thought i might use, but i used it for something else and it was probably a bit thick.

attachment.php

View attachment 241780

I will find something.
Just wanted it thick enough that it would span with a bit of weight without flexing as that would spread the box and bring its strength into question. Say half inch thick or there abouts.

--I wonder what shipping would be for a plain piece of hardwood plywood to Australia? No packaging, just cut to size and the shipping label stuck on it....might give the customs guys something to ponder about....

I found this Plano box at Menards on sale for $25 one day. Holds the 066 and m2440 powerheads and their respective bars, chains and my chaps. Also throw the ear muffs and stuff in there too. If you watch sears the craftsman bags go on sale on a regual basis. Good for holding files, wedges, screnches, assorted other crap. For all my other saws, 361, 290, 250, etc...i've been using the stihl cases.
View attachment 241842View attachment 241843

Big saw, big box.
That box would weigh a bit without the saw in it.

Two power heads in the one box, that would be a fair effort to pick up.

--I wonder what shipping would be for a plain piece of hardwood plywood to Australia? No packaging, just cut to size and the shipping label stuck on it....might give the customs guys something to ponder about....

It wouldnt even make it to my house.

Im sure i would get a letter from customs, all wood products have to have fumigation certificates, if not you need to get it fumigated.

They probably make a hardwood ply here, ive seen thin stuff, ive got an eye open.

It's not too bad to pick up. probably weighs about 40# or so. Once i get to where i'm gonna cut in the woods, i unload it and my old metal milk crate with my gas and oil in it and get to work. But i'm young, so.....lol.....

My vet was trapped in the garage by the saws on the floor so I built some shelves.

attachment.php

One sheet of 3/8 plywood, two 2x2 x 8' and three 2x4 studs. Less than 20 USD in materials plus some scraps.

Details of construction:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Downside is; Wifey can count how many I have.:msp_scared:

this isn't the way i store all of them but my 576 gets some special treatment since its the baby of the bunch. lol
this was tonight when i was mocking up where hinges and handles should go. still needs sanding and stain to make it look a little better.
241958d1339897879-0616122130-jpg

241959d1339897886-0616122130a-jpg
241960d1339897893-0616122132-jpg

This is my trail saw, a Husky 435. I remove the B&C rather than cut a slot. It closes tight so if any liquids leak they stay inside the cooler.

SawCase_1928.jpg

Back