362cm timing advance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have the newest version 362cm and it’s been wonderful so far. I have about 8 tanks through it and it’s just starting to really come alive. I have replaced the front muffler cover with a bark box and I like how it runs (it really isn’t that loud) but I have always wanted more performance from anything and love learning how to make useful performance modifications.
I was reading that the 362c responds very well to a timing advance by filing a bit off of the flywheel key. Since the saw is still new and I have nearly the full warranty period remaining, should I just make the modification and call it a day or wait until the warranty is up before I start messing around with it.

Thanks for the collective assistance

I wish I could just buy a new key but I believe with the 362c it’s integrated directly into the flywheel so I would need to replace the entire thing. Here in Canada the cost is over $200 for one.

If one makes any physical changes to a saw that is going to depend on warranty to cover any damage or defective parts then it is best to wait out the warranty time frame. When looking at warranty claims the mechanics can tell if a screw has been turned or a nut removed and replaced, there are tell tale signs or marks on the screws,nuts etc that would indicate it has been worked on. When having a saw in for warrant work the mechanic or I should say"tech" looked for and noted any sign of an item having been removed prior to him working on the saw and I seen saws turned down on a warranty claim due to even having the muffler screws removed and replaced, they suspect that the muffler had been ported and only replaced before coming in for warranty, this shop turned down many warranty claims if they could see where any part had been removed so be wary of modifying a saw if you ever expect to take it back for warranty.

If one makes any physical changes to a saw that is going to depend on warranty to cover any damage or defective parts then it is best to wait out the warranty time frame. When looking at warranty claims the mechanics can tell if a screw has been turned or a nut removed and replaced, there are tell tale signs or marks on the screws,nuts etc that would indicate it has been worked on. When having a saw in for warrant work the mechanic or I should say"tech" looked for and noted any sign of an item having been removed prior to him working on the saw and I seen saws turned down on a warranty claim due to even having the muffler screws removed and replaced, they suspect that the muffler had been ported and only replaced before coming in for warranty, this shop turned down many warranty claims if they could see where any part had been removed so be wary of modifying a saw if you ever expect to take it back for warranty.

So where is the fine line where these "marks" invalidate a warranty?

If a saw that has very heavy use in dirty conditions, that has had the plastic, flywheel and clutch removed for needed cleaning, warranty void? Or should the owner just run it until it seizes up, damages clutch/housing, plugs up carb, etc...... I take almost everything off for good cleanings.

1 clean 026.jpg

If Steal is that way about working on your own saws, I'd document any work done with pictures.

I mean, there might be screwdriver marks on the air filter screws., wrench marks on the spar kplug,..............(sarcasm)

So where is the fine line where these "marks" invalidate a warranty?

If a saw that has very heavy use in dirty conditions, that has had the plastic, flywheel and clutch removed for needed cleaning, warranty void? Or should the owner just run it until it seizes up, damages clutch/housing, plugs up carb, etc...... I take almost everything off for good cleanings.

View attachment 1138785

If Steal is that way about working on your own saws, I'd document any work done with pictures.

I mean, there might be screwdriver marks on the air filter screws., wrench marks on the spar kplug,..............(sarcasm)
The techs were instructed to look at the retainers on the coil, flywheel, muffler, cylinder and the screws holding the carb together for signs of removal, if several parts had been deemed to have been removed they considered the saw tampered with and most likely refused warranty. They know most owners do not remove these parts before the warranty period expires. It just depends on how picky the servicing dealer is, you can always go over their head and complain to a regional rep that likely will contact them and that never got any issues that I know of resolved. Once the dealer said no warranty that was it

When the carbs on newer saws came out from the factory with the plastic limiter caps on the adjusting screws many guys figured they could pop them off and adjust the jet screws, if the techs seen evidence of the caps being pried off or a screw used to remove them then no warranty for you son when the saw came in with a smoked piston.

The techs were instructed to look at the retainers on the coil, flywheel, muffler, cylinder and the screws holding the carb together for signs of removal, if several parts had been deemed to have been removed they considered the saw tampered with and most likely refused warranty. They know most owners do not remove these parts before the warranty period expires. It just depends on how picky the servicing dealer is, you can always go over their head and complain to a regional rep that likely will contact them and that never got any issues that I know of resolved. Once the dealer said no warranty that was it

I'll agree filing the flywheel key is tampering, cleaning/maintenance is not.

A muffler needs to be removed to properly clean the cyl fins, flywheel removed to clean debris that would restrict cooling.

I've seen saws clutch housings so clogged that they smoked and in a few cases started to melt the plastic cover.

When the carbs on newer saws came out from the factory with the plastic limiter caps on the adjusting screws many guys figured they could pop them off and adjust the jet screws, if the techs seen evidence of the caps being pried off or a screw used to remove them then no warranty for you son when the saw came in with a smoked piston.

And the EPA can go to hell too..........I have no saws with limiters, they are all pre-limiter.

But I can see a dealer pissing if a saw comes in seized and the caps have been moved. That's valid.

If they want to say you can't clean your saw, then they should do it until end of warranty. But then again, if your saw is nearly worn out from no maintenance at end of warranty, they will try to/will sell you a new one.

Shall we talk about new cars/trucks next?..........

I'll agree filing the flywheel key is tampering, cleaning/maintenance is not.

A muffler needs to be removed to properly clean the cyl fins, flywheel removed to clean debris that would restrict cooling.

I've seen saws clutch housings so clogged that they smoked and in a few cases started to melt the plastic cover.

And the EPA can go to hell too..........I have no saws with limiters, they are all pre-limiter.

But I can see a dealer pissing if a saw comes in seized and the caps have been moved. That's valid.

If they want to say you can't clean your saw, then they should do it until end of warranty. But then again, if your saw is nearly worn out from no maintenance at end of warranty, they will try to/will sell you a new one.

Shall we talk about new cars/trucks next?..........
Have you ever read the owners/operators manual? Anything not included in that manual that you touch as an owner unless you are a "authorized dealer" may void the warranty, removing either the muffler or flywheel is not in the owners manual, either is removal and cleaning of the carb, those are authorized dealer" services ,that being a Stihl dealer for the OP this time around. For you and I we would not likely take a saw back for warranty but for those that would it is best to not tamper with anything that is not spelled out in the owners manual if you ever expect the dealer to fix your saw under warranty. Therefor I cannot recommend to this individual, being the OP of this thread to go ahead and remove the flywheel to advance timing as he has asked about future use of the warranty on his saw.

Stihl doesn't check behind you on what you warranty or don't. The dealer sends in a request and it is approved, every time I have sent one in. A few times I suspected straight gas but the owner swore on a stack of Bibles.

But, if I see buggered screws in hard to explain places I would turn it down just because you shouldn't have been screwing with it to start with.

Once the warranty is over, have at it.

Maybe I will just look to get a used flywheel and do the advance. If some breaks, well it’s a perfect opportunity to learn how to fix it.

I don’t think a timing advance alone is going to make anywhere near a significant enough difference to justify kissing your warranty goodbuy. You will hate your for it should something major go wrong that would've otherwise been under warranty (especially if its completely unrelated). My advice is wait, & when you do your advance open up the muffler & set the squish at the same time

Years ago, I had to retard a Chinese coil for a 044 because it was yanking the starter cord out of my hand so I either dremeled out the mounting holes or ground down the diameter on the coils mounting bolts a little at a time. It was years ago and don't remember which, but it worked perfectly to retard or advance the timing. Thinking back I think it was the mounting bolts I turned down.

Have you ever read the owners/operators manual? Anything not included in that manual that you touch as an owner unless you are a "authorized dealer" may void the warranty, removing either the muffler or flywheel is not in the owners manual, either is removal and cleaning of the carb, those are authorized dealer" services ,that being a Stihl dealer for the OP this time around. For you and I we would not likely take a saw back for warranty but for those that would it is best to not tamper with anything that is not spelled out in the owners manual if you ever expect the dealer to fix your saw under warranty. Therefor I cannot recommend to this individual, being the OP of this thread to go ahead and remove the flywheel to advance timing as he has asked about future use of the warranty on his saw.

Last new saw I bought was a 066 in the 1990s. Owners manual was not very enlightening

I'd not buy a new saw today. I have enough perfect running old ones to fill all my needs. I don't want throw away when it breaks/wears equipment, and being tied to a dealership for repairs.

That's one of the reasons I run mostly old equipment, and vehicles, that I can work on with simple tools I already own.

This is in the owners manual for one of my tractors. I guess simple farmers of last century could be trusted with a wrench or a screwdriver.

1 TO-20 carb.png

Last new saw I bought was a 066 in the 1990s. Owners manual was not very enlightening

I'd not buy a new saw today. I have enough perfect running old ones to fill all my needs. I don't want throw away when it breaks/wears equipment, and being tied to a dealership for repairs.

That's one of the reasons I run mostly old equipment, and vehicles, that I can work on with simple tools I already own.

This is in the owners manual for one of my tractors. I guess simple farmers of last century could be trusted with a wrench or a screwdriver.

View attachment 1139197
The Stihl owners manual spells out what you can do to a saw for maintenance, do any more than what the manual covers and they have the right to refuse warranty, whether they all do or do not is up to each individual dealer. If one figures they can do as they like or what they think should be done for cleaning or maintenance it may not be looked on as allowed by a dealer when a saw comes back for warranty work. I would not take a chainsaw back for warranty work myself as I do all my own repairs and I have proved over and over I have more replacement parts in my spares than the local dealers do , for the chainsaws I own. I made a habit of buying up supplies of spares while the saws are current production and have kept them for as long as I have the saws for commercial and firewood duty. My oldest 044 is still running fine along with its other 0 series saws, then the MS series are the latest comers with the 362 being my newest, I do like the spring AV on that one.

Latest posts

Back