Chainsaw TimberSports in Houston, TX

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Chainsaw!! National Lumberjack Championship

Series in Houston, TX.

OK this probably belongs in Off Topic or Announcements, but since the CS forum gets the most traffic, here goes.

This weekend they're holding a Childrens Festival in Sam Houston Park (downtown Houston). Part of the festival includes Timbersports. I have no idea exactly what this will involve. The flyer I read didn't have much info, but it did show photos of s/o ucutting with a chainsaw & two guys log rolling. The schedule shows four TS events on Sat, 4/2/5, & three events on Suday 4/3/5. Entrance to the festival is $5.00 (I think-I don't have flyer with me). Bad news is you can't bring in your own food, beverages, coolers, etc, not even an umbrella (now that's totally ridiculous-boo, hiss).

From what I read on the flyer all of the other events are for kids. We don't have any kids (I borrow them from my neighbor), but I'm going on Sat to check out the TS events. If anyone in or near Houston wants to meet up, I'd like to meet you. Sunday could be workable.

Thanks! Chris J.

Last edited:
The silence is deafening.

I have a chitload of photos from 3 of today's 4 events, but I'm not going to bother posting (cleaning, cropping, sizing, etc) if no one is interested.

This was the first time that I attended a lumberjack competition. It was a lot of fun, even my wife (who has no interest in chainsaws) started cheering & clapping.

The two main competiters were Jamie Fisher (5 time & current world champion lumberjack) & Nate Greenburg (who just returned from 3 months of competition in Australia). Dan McBride & Terry Corbet (both Texans) competed in some of the events. The athleticism these guys displayed was amazing. My wife was very impressed with their glutes (how's that for Too Much Info?).

They did some cuts with hotsaws, & I took quite a few photos of the saws, but only a few are of the saws being ran.

Photos & details available if anyone is interested..........

Last edited:
Thanks, Ryan.

As you can see from my post time it's getting late, 12:24am CST b4 daylight savings time. Will post some of the better photos later tomorrow (huh, I mean today)........Chris J.

Well...I'll try some posting some photos.

If I get the photos in the correct order, the desrciptions should be accurate.

1. A cool shot that was a total accident. I have absolutely no experience with action photography; it's a good thing that dig cams are so forgiving. It's the log rolling competition, & I think that that is Nate Greenberg in the water, & Jamie Fisher is on his way.

2. Jamie, Dan McBride, & Nate with single man hand saws.

3. Jamie hand saw.

4. Nate hand saw.

Last edited:
And some more...

1. This should be a good shot of Nate cutting from the springboard.

2. A shot of Nate waving to the crowd.

For some inexplicable reason, I didn't get a single shot of Nate running a hot saw (did get some decent shots of Jamie with HS). And Nate won both of the HS runs on Saturday.

I also have a few close-ups of the hotsaws,

but it's getting late. Sorry that I don't have any of the times, or more details, but as I previously stated this was my first live lumberjack competition. I wasn't really prepared (that's the journalist in me making excuses while kicking me for not being prepared).

Chris J.

Timber:

I don't know anything about the championship series other than the main sponsor is Echo, & the champ is decided on a points total after stops in 25 US cities. I am going research this a bit before my next post. If anyone wants to jump in with some details please do so. The announcer, whose name escapes me, did say that Nate Greenberg had just returned from 3 months (of competitions, I think) in Australia.

They're going to spend 5 days at a festival in Lufkin, TX, in June??. I'm such a newbie/DA I didn't even know Texas had a logging festival. Sounds like it could be fun, & Lufkin isn't all that far from Houston. I'll try to get some details, & post 'em to see if any Texas chainsaw addicts might be interested in attending.

More photos later.........Chris J.

Latest posts

Back