Chainsaw Toolbox - What you need and where to get it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Thought I would start this thread because I just finished up a little chainsaw toolbox. As you can see in the picture below, I fixed up an old Craftsman chest, and garbage picked side-cab, with a plywood top skinned in 16ga sheetmetal. I plan on stashing all my saw parts and saw specific tools in it - and using it as a convenient work station for saw work - basically, I gave the old girl a new lease on life, and the small space will limit me to one project at a time.:ices_rofl: I don't plan on getting out of this hobby anytime soon, and want to expand my tool collection so I can begin to get into some engine work...slowly of course!

I am personally looking for some cylinder hones - something I don't need, but I like tools, and they will come in handy. So, where should I look and what size(s) should I look for, any of you guys have experience in this department?

So far, my list of necessities includes:
Small screw drivers - phillips and standard
T-25 and T-27 Torx
Metric Allen wrenches
1/4" drive metric socket set
El-cheapo set of harbor freight needle files
Dremel and a fancy assortment of attachments
Drill and bits
File guides and files for sharpening
Small ball-peen hammer and mallets
Drift pins/punches

Anything I missed?

attachment.php

attachment.php

How much money do you have?

Hi Paws
Some items to consider: compression tester, clutch removal tools, piston ring compressors, tachometer, air compressor and related items, good light for over your work area, torque wrench, bench grinder, MIG or TIG setup, good quality bench vise, nudie calendar for the shop wall, and a BFH.

JonnyHart said:
Got an ideal spot on there for a vise?
Durn, beat me to it. all it needs now is a vise!!
and maybe one of those string trimmer holding clamps to hold handles
-Ralph

Might add something along the back and sides to keep small parts, nuts/bolts from rolling off all the time.

I second the BFH.

And light, light, more light. It would be cool if you had a flexible halogen light mounted onto that thing along with a small power strip. You could just plug the cart in and end up with some nice bright light and a few outlets.

You spin your own chains Four Paws?
Could save some room by mounting a breaker and spinner (seperately) onto some steel angle and clamping it in the vise. Or mount it on plywood and C-clamp it onto any of the top surface that sticks out a few inches, but I don't see any extra surface to clamp to. It's nice to be able to put it away when you don't need it.

Good suggestions guys!

Urbicide said:
Some items to consider: compression tester, clutch removal tools, piston ring compressors, tachometer, air compressor and related items, good light for over your work area, torque wrench, bench grinder, MIG or TIG setup, good quality bench vise, nudie calendar for the shop wall, and a BFH.

My compression tester isn't too accurate on saws - I need a short 14mm adapter. The 12" hose adapter I have is for cars and, despite multiple fast pulls with the throttle wide open, only yields about 75-80 psi on a great running saw that pulls the hardest out of all of the ones I own. I have checked the gauge - dead on. That extra hose just has to be gobbling up the air - that is all there is to it!

Clutch tools - as in special pullers? My 3-jaw pullers have worked good so far.

Ring compressors would sure be nice - any good ones out there, or are the plastic ones from Bailey's decent enough?

Tachometer - highest on my list at the moment!

Air Compressor - got me a pretty nice 25cfm Ingersoll Rand

Torque wrench - A nice 1/4" drive in-lb. wrench would be nice - don't think any fastener on a saw requires 50+ ft-lb. LOL

Bench grinder / buffer is covered - even got me a fancy Harbor Freight pedestal with the water cup built in!

MIG = Millermatic 175
TIG = Lincoln Precision TIG 185

Bench Vise - on the other bench behind where I was standing taking the picture.

BFH - got a 4lb. handheld steel sledge, and a 5lb. handheld brass sledge.

No nudie calender - My wife is very easy on the eyes!

begleytree said:
Durn, beat me to it. all it needs now is a vise!!
and maybe one of those string trimmer holding clamps to hold handles
-Ralph

Where do you buy those trimmer clamps? I would love to have one for when I work on the brush cutter.

retoocs555 said:
Might add something along the back and sides to keep small parts, nuts/bolts from rolling off all the time.

I second the BFH.

And light, light, more light. It would be cool if you had a flexible halogen light mounted onto that thing along with a small power strip. You could just plug the cart in and end up with some nice bright light and a few outlets

Magnetic dish for the nuts and bolts! Yes, lighting is a must - would like to get one of those magnifying lens/lamp things on the crazy arm that you can move all over. I have the power strip...just have to modify the cord and screw it on!

wagonwheeler said:
Like the setup - but Intez???

Chaser

Notice the bar is on the bench and not the saw! Just waiting for a decent rebuilder to slap it on before I sell it!

JonnyHart said:
You spin your own chains Four Paws?
Could save some room by mounting a breaker and spinner (seperately) onto some steel angle and clamping it in the vise. Or mount it on plywood and C-clamp it onto any of the top surface that sticks out a few inches, but I don't see any extra surface to clamp to. It's nice to be able to put it away when you don't need it.

Not yet, but I wouldn't mind getting a nice breaker, spinner and sharpening rig set up on a modular design along the lines you described so they would be easy to swap in and out.

Keep the posts coming! Thanks for the compliments and suggestions!

Latest posts

Back