chainsaw winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob gresko

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a chainsaw winch (Lewis Winch or Capstan Winch) for dragging lengths of firewood out to the road. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with them? Are they really all they are cracked-up-to-be in their advertisements? Are there any other brands or types available?

Thanks
Bob

I've got a capstan with 300' of 1/2" rope and a couple snatch blocks,don't know how I lived without one for so long.It's a Honda 4stroke, starts first pull every time and runs forever on a tank of gas.Works great for pulling down hung up trees too.
If you've got a spare powerhead the Lewis would be cheaper.
You might get by with just some rope and pulleys and use your truck to pull out the wood.
attachment.php

:agree2:
I use that same winch, and it's awsome! Great for pulling down snags. Don't have to cut a tractor path to every tree. Couple of snatch blocks for direction, and a multiple pulley system for a stronger pull. The yellow cone has been more of a pain in the tail for me. I must not be using it right. But the winch, rocks!

i use a cambell hausfeild 12 v electric model my self it a whole lot cheaper. i have pulled some serious weight with it.

My hunting partner has one of the Capstan winches shown above and we have used it alot for pulling out Elk and tons of firewood. After using one I agree I am not sure how we got along so long without it, worth its weight in gold.....

Back