Chance to buy a Dolmar 5100S now talk me out of it!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been watching an ad for a 5100S for a few weeks. CAD got the best of me and I finally bit on the ad, it's still available. Now, you talk me out of it because you know #@mn well I don't need it. On the more serious side, are they just "blowing up" because people are not pulling the limiter caps and adjusting them correctly? Do they have limited coils making it difficult to tune?View attachment 286454View attachment 286455View attachment 286456View attachment 286457

I think it is a bit more to it, like bad ventilation around the cylinder - but don't be scared if you adjust the carb properly, and stay clear of prolonged cutting in hot weather. :msp_wink:

Dont be afraid of it,, unless u lean it out to much. Keep it a little on the rich side and the air fillter clean u will be good to go. Stock coils on those are limited at 14500. Replacement red coils are 13500. I got 4 of them and one is a guinney pig. Bought it sizzed, and took it apart cleaned piston and cyl up and put it back together and its still runnin strong. Not recomended but I just wanted to see how long it would last been almost a year now and she makes chips fly. Besides its nice to lone out,,, LOL Saves my good ones.

Dont be afraid of it,, unless u lean it out to much. Keep it a little on the rich side and the air fillter clean u will be good to go. Stock coils on those are limited at 14500. Replacement red coils are 13500. I got 4 of them and one is a guinney pig. Bought it sizzed, and took it apart cleaned piston and cyl up and put it back together and its still runnin strong. Not recomended but I just wanted to see how long it would last been almost a year now and she makes chips fly. Besides its nice to lone out,,, LOL Saves my good ones.

I started at 14,200 with mine, and adjusted it down to 14,400 after it hit the limiter during run-in. I have kept it there, as it sounds right - and have had no issues that is related to that.

Now the NE346xp surely is a better 50cc saw, but that's another story...:D

OK,

Don't buy it.

You will have a ticking time bomb on your hands, when it lets go you will be picking shrapnel from every square inch of your body.

The 5100 is known to carry many STDs and will infect your whole family.

You will not be seen as manly carrying a 5100, using one will cause several bad side effects including death.

Step away from the saw, but don't turn your back while you retreat.

I started at 14,200 with mine, and adjusted it down to 14,400 after it hit the limiter during run-in. I have kept it there, as it sounds right - and have had no issues that is related to that.

Now the NE346xp surely is a better 50cc saw, but that's another story...:D

I have the NE346, blue 401, 6401, and I'm building a 50 to keep. I really like those Makitas and this 5100 has the same bar mount as the 346 and 50, right? So, I could run my bars, chains, and it looks like it runs the same .325x7 rim. It's set up with a 20 inch 3/8 now and I would go to .325 x 16 or 18.

Tuning it to run properly now wont erase any damage caused,(if any), by how it was tuned in the past. If it was previously tuned lean, how much and how hard were the run times?? Guessing game at best maybe. The seller may tell you what you want to hear but will that be the real story? Look it over carefully.

Last edited:
bar mount

I don't know about the 5100; but my 5105 is the same mount as the 6400. Hope this helps. Steve

I have the NE346, blue 401, 6401, and I'm building a 50 to keep. I really like those Makitas and this 5100 has the same bar mount as the 346 and 50, right? So, I could run my bars, chains, and it looks like it runs the same .325x7 rim. It's set up with a 20 inch 3/8 now and I would go to .325 x 16 or 18.

That is all correct.

I was wrong

I was wrong, the dolmar 5105 has the same chain but the bar is different than the 6400. Not the first time I have been wrong, would be nice if it was the last. Steve

That is a very fair/good price if the saw is in good proper running shape. It will kill a MS290 and people line up all day to buy those at upwards of $300.

Just make sure to trim limiters right away and a muffler mod is even more helpfull.

I drove right past the location today and passed it up. Maybe my CAD is slowly healing. Thanks for the info on it.

I drove right past the location today and passed it up. Maybe my CAD is slowly healing. Thanks for the info on it.

CAD never heals. You just wait, that scenario where you drove by where that saw was is going to start replaying in your mind.

Latest posts

Back