Chaps Repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The chain took a pretty wide chunk out, so even butterfly clips weren't much use.

For the chaps, still say to wash them before use as they work better then. I did mine on gentle warm wash in the front loader washing machine then drip dried them. Worked a treat.
I was threatened with bodily harm if the chaps went anywhere near the washer, so that wasn't an option for me. I was a bit confused, though, as I was under the impression that chaps were supposed to prevent injury, not cause it.

I was threatened with bodily harm if the chaps went anywhere near the washer, so that wasn't an option for me. I was a bit confused, though, as I was under the impression that chaps were supposed to prevent injury, not cause it.
Lol. They won't damage the washer. In fact if the washer has a centre agitator it'll likely damage the chaps. Worst case just run an extra hot/soapy cycle with nothing in it ater the chaps to make sure it's clean.

On a side note, I can't believe how many people cut load after load without chaps, glasses, or ear protection. It's just so crazy to me.

Lol. They won't damage the washer. In fact if the washer has a centre agitator it'll likely damage the chaps. Worst case just run an extra hot/soapy cycle with nothing in it ater the chaps to make sure it's clean.

On a side note, I can't believe how many people cut load after load without chaps, glasses, or ear protection. It's just so crazy to me.
I think it was in reference to the bar oil dripping off them and the fact that they started life as bright orange with black camo, and at this point they were dark brown/dark grey. "The next few loads after that thing will come out dirtier than they went in!"

I think it was in reference to the bar oil dripping off them and the fact that they started life as bright orange with black camo, and at this point they were dark brown/dark grey. "The next few loads after that thing will come out dirtier than they went in!"
Lol. Fair enough. Mine only had a couple of years use.

Easier/ faster might be to simply BRUSH CLEAN/ AIR NOZZLE CLEAN, mask off and wipe the cut/ tear w/ Thin layer of SHOE-GOO/ GOOP or silicone? Pretty sure mine say NOT to wash?
Read the manufacturer’s instructions for your chaps. Most recommend keeping the chaps clean, including the inner, protective fibers, but only a few allow machine washing.

* Do not use bleach, which can damage the protective fibers*

The procedure is based on USFS recommendations, which are referenced in the first post.

Philbert

Read the manufacturer’s instructions for your chaps. Most recommend keeping the chaps clean, including the inner, protective fibers, but only a few allow machine washing.
I should have been clearer in my post, above. Most (?) manufacturers will allow / encourage HAND washing their chaps. Obviously, this takes more time and effort.

Wet chaps get heavy, fast. I have hand washed chaps in a bath tub, laying them flat, and rolling them to remove excess water. I used a soft scrub brush on the outer fabric only.

STIHL USA is one of the few manufacturers who recommend machine washing on their care label. Line drying is preferred to avoid heat. Again, NO bleach, and use NO fabric softener.

Philbert

Hi all,

Revisiting this conversation. I've read the FS instructions for repairing rips in chaps, and I ordered some seam grip.

However, I'm a little confused about putting paper under the rip. I understand that the paper is to keep the glue out of the protective kevlar weave, but I don't understand why to use paper. Why not use a piece of denim or something? Seems like with use the paper will get wet and mushy and fall apart and float around in the chaps, etc. Will the glue soak through denim and not paper?

These are the chaps I have - super pricey! but they are the only one approved by the FS

https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p/23601/73351/pgi-5-ply-para-aramid-chain-saw-chaps
I got a 2-3 " rip in the thigh and definitely want to repair over replace! the kevlar is fine.

I'm a little confused about putting paper under the rip. I understand that the paper is to keep the glue out of the protective kevlar weave, but I don't understand why to use paper. Why not use a piece of denim or something?
Yes: the paper is to keep the glue / sealant out of the protective fibers. It stays permanently inside the chaps. If it gets wet and falls apart, not a big deal. You could probably use a thick piece of SaranWrap if you prefer.

FWIW, I pin the paper temporarily in place, while the sealant sets, so that it does not shift out of position.

I still use the paper, even when gluing a matching piece of chaps fabric over the repair.

Philbert

Yes: the paper is to keep the glue / sealant out of the protective fibers. It stays permanently inside the chaps. If it gets wet and falls apart, not a big deal. You could probably use a thick piece of SaranWrap if you prefer.

FWIW, I pin the paper temporarily in place, while the sealant sets, so that it does not shift out of position.

I still use the paper, even when gluing a matching piece of chaps fabric over the repair.

Philbert
Thanks!

I was thinking about using a piece of plastic from a ziplock bag. But I'm sure as usual, I'm overthinking it. If paper works, paper works.

Latest posts

Back