Check this out!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I was investigating the EBAY 026 wreck that I threw a "Hail Mary" bid on and look what I found. For a second I thought the previous owner was the butt of a joke and that someone packed the head full of plaster or something. The last picture is a mug shot of the culprit.

FYI, the bearings on this saw were seriously wasted but, surprisingly, the top end was good, even though it was under attack. The piston is in really good shape, with the milling marks clear on all sides... got a problem, though, the rings have oxidized themselves in place. They are flush with the piston and there are no gaps large enough to do any coaxing. Anyone got any ideas? The piston is now soaking in liquid wrench... don't see much happening though.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Wow Andre thats cool.Any idea what kind of bug that is. Around here them mud dauber wasps do that. Is that what it was. What about the acid trick.Is the piston corroded of the rings rusted. If you dont care about the rings I would get a fine chisel and start at the endgap and chip away.:blob2:

When working on guns, I have had several customers bring in shotguns with the screw in chokes frozen in or rusted in, usually I just put the end of the shotgun barrel in water and leave it for three or four days, they then will usually screw out. If that doesn't work, soak in Kroil, the oil that creeps, the best penetrating oil there is.

Hi, Ross! Hey, you know me, I'm a cheap sucker. I'll keep 'em if i can. It looks to me like the rings rusted some.... exactly what's holding them in I don't know. I figure someone has some sooper dooper snake oil they can recommend. Other than a small amount of rust, the rings look like they are in good shape.

Maybe some heat from a heat gun to take advantage of the different expansions rates of the dissimilar metals?

Just saw your last post.

If there is rust involved, AeroKroil is your friend.

Last edited:
Hi, Chris! So AeroKroil is the snake oil du jour? Where might I find such a potion? Is it an autozone-type thing?

That sounds like some high end stuff there. With the word aero in it its got to be good. I like the heat idea. Id use a propane torch and see if I could get a little pick to start moving ring while hot.:clap:

Is this a project saw or something you NEED to get running now? If it's a project I'd let the rings set and soak. I've gotten rings unstuck by tapping them with a chunk of wood.....let them soak some more. You should be able to get them unstuck without breaking them.

Dan

Thanks for the advice, Dan, I do have the time... I don't even have all the parts to complete the saw yet, but close. I like Ross's pick idea also. There is a tiny spot at the ring gap that I might be able to do some gentle wedging in.

I've used Kroil in a can, and PB Blaster in the spray can. I would try the penetrating oil first, and maybe try heating the piston. The aluminum should expand more than the rings.

I have a couple of 026s as projects right now. One was scored badly enough that I thought it a single ring piston. The cylinder was saved.

Go to the pharmacy they should have "wintergreen oil" (methyl sylicate is the chemical name). It will come in a very small bottle. But it goes a long way! Years ago we used this to disassemble jet engines for overhaul. It's the best penetrant there is. Pour a very small amount on and see if it is loosened. After about 5 minutes try again. After about 5 minutes try again. Let it soak and it will come apart in time. WDO

go to a GM dealership and buy a can of "Top Engine Cleaner" I don't have the part number handy or I would post it. Soak the piston in it for a day or so and I think you will be a very happy cutter. :) Just ask for a can and the parts dept will know exactly what ya want.

EDIT: You don't want the spray can you want the pop top can. The stuff works amazing.... and if your one that likes cleaning the chains before a grind/sharpen, it works AWSOME for that also!!!!

Last edited:
Hi, Chris! So AeroKroil is the snake oil du jour? Where might I find such a potion? Is it an autozone-type thing?

You've got some other good suggestions here (that I haven't tried myself), but AeroKroil is all that I buy after trying every penetrating oil that I could get my hands on.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

I didn't see a dealer/retailer locater link, but it will give you a good idea of what to look for. Autozone may carry it.

You can buy Kroil or areo kroil from Midway USA. They have a website, all the serious shooters I know use it. I haven't found anything that come close, although GM top engine cleaner mixed 50/50 with Butch's Boreshine comes close, but more of a cleaner than a penetrator.

You've got some other good suggestions here (that I haven't tried myself), but AeroKroil is all that I buy after trying every penetrating oil that I could get my hands on.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

I didn't see a dealer/retailer locater link, but it will give you a good idea of what to look for. Autozone may carry it.

Call this number 866 487 7245 and tell them you want the "google offer" and for $12.00 you will recieve two 13 oz. cans to your door. I called and had mine in less than a week. They told me they did not sell through stores. Tom

i've been told that Kroil contains VERY small amounts of Wintergreen oil as penetrant. WDO

all the serious shooters I know use it.

I've been shooting shotguns, handguns and long guns my entire life...

What exactly are the "serious shooters" needing with a penetrate?

Call this number 866 487 7245 and tell them you want the "google offer" and for $12.00 you will recieve two 13 oz. cans to your door. I called and had mine in less than a week. They told me they did not sell through stores. Tom

Do you know if that google offer applies to Canadians?

I can buy it here for $22+tax per can, but would certainly use that offer. :D

Hey, you guys are aces. BTW, I found a new cleaner that I am ecstatic with (ok, ecstatic is a bit over the top). I'll post a new thread, though, this stuff is really worth it. I don't even bother with purple cleaner anymore.

Dad restores Model A Fords, uses Kroil to free bolts that havn't been apart for nearly 70 years.
GOOD STUFF

Back