cherry tree for the kids

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.p.landscaping

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This might sound like a stupid question but I have no knowledge on this matter and wish to learn more about it so here goes...

I had bought a small cherry tree from a garden center to plant in my own yard for my kids. Kinda a cute family thing, ya know. Well to my surprise the tree, as small and young as it is, started producing cherries already. Not many, only about a dozen or so but they were very healthy until the squirrels had their way with them. Anyway I had noticed that the tree was sprouting 2 small branches right at the base. Now I learned that something like that should be pruned off so it doesn't start to draw nurturance away from the rest of the tree but before I cut it off I wanted to know how I can turn these small pieces into another tree or 2.should I cut them off and try replanting them in a pot or soak them in water or a special mixture??

Would love to produce 2 more trees so I can pass down one to each kid when they have there own houses.

Thanks for any help!!!
Jay

Jay, I'd just cut em off.....

The tree may well be grafted, and the suckers are coming form root stock, so won't amount to anything. As well, I don't think there's any way to start them.

Just go look for some whips or young trees, you can get them for $1-15 depending on size. For that price you can toss in a whole bunch of different trees.

Back