Chimney cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently had my chimney cleaned and found out its a 5 1/2 dia. liner inside the existing chimney. He told me it was a stainless I think liner or maybe something else and had to use a special brush to clean it with for it will scratch and damage the coating on it and not support the 1800 degree temps it can produce in it.. Im going to try and clean it my self next yr because I watched him do it and it didnt take him 30 mins and he ran it down from the top of liner instead of from inside of insert. Well i figure I can do that and shine a light to make sure its clean and save myself 140 dollars next yr.. my question is what kind of kit do I need and what type of brush should I use to clean it with so as not to damage the liner...thanks...

P.S. Its a Regency EPA insert if that helps in determining the liner it might be using..

Last edited:
Brush

Any type of rod will work. The rod shouldn't contact the liner. The biggest thing is the brush. Make sure it's the right size and shape for the liner. For a stainless steal the brush bristles should be a hard plastic. NOT repeat NOT steal/wire. Be safe on roof and stay warm.

$140 to get a chimney swept, I didnt think it would cost that much to get a sweep to come in.

Your local Menards, Home Depot, Lowes, Farm and Fleet (basically anyone who sells wood stoves) will have the brushes and rods. Usually the rods come in about 3' lengths. And yea, get a brush that is not metal.

:jawdrop: $60 here during the summer months...! $125 during burning season.

Yeah, $250.

We are in process of having the roof replaced on our house. I have never in my life been on a roof (height is NOT my friend :( I don't climb trees either. :) )

I had the roofer show me the safe way to get up there, tie off the extension ladder, etc., etc.

Guess who's cleaning their own chimney from now on? :)

Shari

Why do you plan on cleaning liners from the top? I always clean mine (6" and 7") with the right size poly brush and a set of flexible nylon rods from the bottom. You either do it from inside the stove, or through the access panel that should be in the pipe between the stove and chimney proper.

Climbing on the roof to clean a chimney....that would be scary.

Mines in the 30 feet area n length of liner... and I think it is stainless steel..but if 140 is cheap or in the area of about normal cost I may not mess with it cause I have a loft type house with high ceilings where my fireplace is located.. and I dont care much for heights so if 140 dollars ensures my safety then that might be the way to go becasue I dont have normal incline roof either.. for every 12 inches it probablly drops 8 or more inches...

glad you all made this thread,,i have triple wall and it is stainless steel,,i have a wire 6" brush,glad i have only cleaned it 2 times since we put the stove in,,i am going to get a poly brush soon to clean it from now on,, i didn't know until now that you can't use a wire brush

glad you all made this thread,,i have triple wall and it is stainless steel,,i have a wire 6" brush,glad i have only cleaned it 2 times since we put the stove in,,i am going to get a poly brush soon to clean it from now on,, i didn't know until now that you can't use a wire brush

Im like you, but i have cleand my triple wall pipe many times with a wire brush. Why cant we use a wire brush???

Why Not ?

Im like you, but i have cleand my triple wall pipe many times with a wire brush. Why cant we use a wire brush???

You should not use a wire brush on stainless steel chimney pipe. Why ? It will abrade and scratch it. Use the polyester brush on the stainless sections and steel on the black flue pipe.

I suppose it is OK to use the polyester on the black pipe but my guess is it won't clean as well as the steel brush.

Nosmo

Why do you plan on cleaning liners from the top? I always clean mine (6" and 7") with the right size poly brush and a set of flexible nylon rods from the bottom. You either do it from inside the stove, or through the access panel that should be in the pipe between the stove and chimney proper.

Climbing on the roof to clean a chimney....that would be scary.

The guy that cleaned mine was gonna clean it from the inside of stove but said there where those airated bars blocking access to the liner and his brush couldnt get around them..also my stove dosent have an outside access panel..I imagine this is why others have to clean from the roof top as well..

I have a 7" ovalized SS liner. Size is about 4-1/2" by 8". Best price I could find was over $100 for a brush. I got a $25 round 8" poly brush and cut it to fit with wire cutters. Works perfect.

I just installed a new liner for my insert in September. Stainless steel, flexible, 6", 15' length. I talked to the tech at Rockford Chimney Supply where I ordered it from. I called to ask about a poly vs steel brush for cleaning since I already had a steel one ( which happens to say right on the box "can be used in clay and stainless steel chimneys"). He said the poly is recommended, but that I could use the steel one, if it fit good down the flue. If it was tight, trimming it a bit could work ( as was mentioned by someone earlier in this thread I think ).

He said the poly brush is better cause its not as harsh, and would be plenty good for getting the little bit of buildup I would get in my setup. I only paid $15 for for the steel one 5 years ago. I see there are poly brushes on Amazon for $6 compared to other places for $40. So for the $6 I will be getting a poly one to clean this spring.............even so, I'm still not sure I understand why a steel brush shouldn't be used on a stainless liner that is 100% stainless/titanium alloy throughout, and not a plating.

I just installed a new liner for my insert in September. Stainless steel, flexible, 6", 15' length. I talked to the tech at Rockford Chimney Supply where I ordered it from. I called to ask about a poly vs steel brush for cleaning since I already had a steel one ( which happens to say right on the box "can be used in clay and stainless steel chimneys"). He said the poly is recommended, but that I could use the steel one, if it fit good down the flue. If it was tight, trimming it a bit could work ( as was mentioned by someone earlier in this thread I think ).

He said the poly brush is better cause its not as harsh, and would be plenty good for getting the little bit of buildup I would get in my setup. I only paid $15 for for the steel one 5 years ago. I see there are poly brushes on Amazon for $6 compared to other places for $40. So for the $6 I will be getting a poly one to clean this spring.............even so, I'm still not sure I understand why a steel brush shouldn't be used on a stainless liner that is 100% stainless/titanium alloy throughout, and not a plating.
the steel will leave microparticles on the SS which will result in premature wear & then u can buy another liner.........its worse with coal due to the acidity of the smoke

Latest posts

Back