chimney cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allthegross

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm look to buy some chimney cleaning tools and have found a variety of choices like brass brushes Polly and even micro fiber. does any one have any suggestions i have a wood insert with a straight run metal flu pipe and I'm wonder what and where to buy. i would also like to hear some suggestion on the best way to clean

Last edited:
thank for all the help...ha ha. got er done. burned five cord before cleanings with the new insert and got about 1/3rd of a one gallon bucket of soot and creosote. bought a polly brush at a fireplace store for 25 bucks (metal flue) and got the rods from home cheapo. they were much much cheaper at home depot than my local fireplace store saved about 100 on the rods alone.

Good for you for saving cash, and doing it yourself(which saves more cash).
I bought my set up for around $30. It came with the brush (6") and 5 4 foot rods I think. Anyway, I have a 32 foot ladder and can easily get to the chimney. I figure the equipment paid for itself after one cleaning, and I know I did a thorough job, plus I didn't damage any shingles or flashing! You never know what a contractor screws up until it is costing you more to fix it!

Good set-up

I have the same poly brush and fiberglass rods from Menards. I clean my flue every two weeks just to be on the safe side.

I have a flexible stainless flue, and I was told to use the poly brush, because the metal ones could pierce the flue.

I Have A Forever Flex Titanium Stainless Liner You Can Stand On The Stuff I Weigh 225. You Can Use A Steel Brush On It As Long As There Are No Crazy Bends In It

I have a flexible stainless flue, and I was told to use the poly brush, because the metal ones could pierce the flue.

Ask a welder or a gunsmith. The reason you don't use a steel wire brush on stainless is because it embeds particles of steel into the stainless and causes it to corrode.

Got the brush and rods Menards sells. Clean either before or after the season and once in the middle. Just cleaned the chimney a couple of weeks ago and got less than a gallon of creosote out. 7x7 clay liner in a 33 ft. chimney.

Matt

Back