Chimney help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchipper95

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Haven't been on in a long time! I bought a house a 6ac and I need to put a chimney up. Just going to do a basic through the block basement wall since the 'crock' is already there. Have a hearthstone Phoenix that I picked up for $300. What are the pieces needed also what brand/model pipe should I use. Has t111 siding shingle roof. The wood stove will be going on the left side of the house when looking at the picture. 8e84a4303d11ef27055a927e257bb006l-m0xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

First I have no knowledge of the US stove flue regs.& have no doubt the French ones are quite different The essential with all wood/multi fuel stoves is the longer the run of flue you keep indoors the less heat you lose & if single skin flue is OK/legal to use even better If you are allowed to keep all the flue inside & exit through the roof your heat loss will be greatly reduced than by exiting the building & positioning the flue up the outside of the wall All depends whats legal I guess

The only thing we really have to go by is the picture - and based on that I am thinking I would want the stove as in the middle of the house as I could get it, since it has a long narrow configuration. I would likely just go to the local building supply place, they should be able to set you up based on measurements you take them & what they have. Prefab insulated stainless chimney piping & components is fairly standard stuff.

Not sure what exactly a 'crock' is though.

The only thing we really have to go by is the picture - and based on that I am thinking I would want the stove as in the middle of the house as I could get it, since it has a long narrow configuration. I would likely just go to the local building supply place, they should be able to set you up based on measurements you take them & what they have. Prefab insulated stainless chimney piping & components is fairly standard stuff.

Not sure what exactly a 'crock' is though.

Yes, middle of the house. Put it on one end and it will heat that half at best.

You likely have a stove retailer who will sell you the proper flue, one that meets code and that the manufacturer recommends. A couple of years ago a DIY install caught fire in a nearby home. Nothing to be playing with.

Since you don't have an existing chimney you will be installing manufactured chimney pipe. The two big name brands are Selkirk and DuraVent. I've used both and their products are similar in quality and construction. I do find the DuraVent web site easier to access as well as their technical/catalog info.

Anyways, the product you need for exterior goes by many names but they generally all mean the same thing. Class A chimney pipe, "double wall" or even "triple wall" chimney pipe and metalbestos are all used somewhat interchangeably (especially the uneducated like me). For wood stoves it's usually classified as "All-Fuel" pipe. Even then they offered different levels of quality.

Both Selkirk and DuraVent have great technical support. I've called both several times asking for info and always got it.

If you are really inretested in DIY install dont be worried if your local place retailer doesn't have either iit can be ordered easily online and usually at a better price than the local retailer. If you chose one it might help to get the brand they carry though in case you need a small part and want to get it same day...

Anyways, the Class A All-fuel chimney usually has a 2" min clearance to combustible and meets UL 103 HT code for natural draft solid fuel combustors. The manufacture will provide specific install instructions if you purchase an install kit. Sounds like you will need a through wall kit with a support.

You can find a product catalog here as well as installation instructions.
http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=1

Thanks all ill read these in a bit, I saw someone commented about in the middle... won't work there plus it's a one room basement the up stairs is only 700sqft the stove will be by the steps and plenty of vents in the floor. The heat will naturally rise through the floor too. We are HOT sleepers and the stove is far away from the bedroom. Only 3 rooms up stairs a bath, bed, and a kitchen/living. Open floor plan the stove is already bigger than what is needed. I'll have no problems heating to 70.

My stove is in my basement and I have it all the way to one side. No problem keeping my house warm upstairs. I bought all my chimney supplies from Northern Tool, DuraVent triple wall, don't skimp and buy double wall, spend the extra coin and get the triple wall. Nobody wants to wake up in the middle of the night to a fire alarm beeping.....

This seems a lot easier than I thought. The duravent products seem to go together easy and efficiently. All I need to do is take some measurements and decide on double or triple wall.

One question the chimney section that runs horizontal through the wall is that just a standard section of chimney pipe? When I was looking last night I couldn't find a real answer to if there is a special pipe for that or just a shorter section of chimney pipe. It would be coming off the 'tee' and into the house a minimum of 6" is what I read.

@woodchipper, do you have a pictture of the "crock" you mentioned? Sounds like you have clay thimble installed through the wall already? There maybe a few options for you depending on if you want to use that as the penetration. You could buy a thimble connector and let the flue gas pass through it or if its large enough insert a doubke wall pipe in it. Will need to know the inside diameter for the latter. Otherwise you are looking for a wall thimble assembly.

TRIPLE WALL!!! Good Stuff Marshy, I had to use my dads electric jack hammer and hammer drill and go through my block, used the kits right out of northern tool Use stove pipe right up to the "T" then triple wall all the way up.

TRIPLE WALL!!! Good Stuff Marshy, I had to use my dads electric jack hammer and hammer drill and go through my block, used the kits right out of northern tool Use stove pipe right up to the "T" then triple wall all the way up.
Can I use a single wall 6" stove pipe from the stove; through the wall and directly to a double/triple wall 'T' and chimney? It's a Clay liner through a block wall.

Also what would you guys do for finishing and insulating around the stove?

Latest posts

Back