Chimney liner recommendations for Ashley AH1 insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anymanusa

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got this bad boy for a cool hundred. It's slammed into a huge fireplace with two 10.5" square tile chimney clays. Yeah. Way too much chimney. I have one of them blocked off right now.

20220312_204832.jpg

Works great once going and hot, but doesn't draft well until up to temp. Looking at chimney liners. The outlet on this is 4" x 14". That calculates out to an area of about an 8" round. I don't know if this stove needs an 8" flue to be honest. What do you think? Does it make sense to go 7" or is that an oddball and too hard to find parts for? Is 6" too small? The existing chimney is about 14' to 15' tall.

20211229_135839.jpg

And a side note; why the hell does nobody seem to offer these damned rectangular to round transition pieces that always seem to get lost in the shuffle? I get tired of having to look for these things and make them.

Try contacting Rockford Chimney. They will fabricate custom stainless adapters. Not inexpensive, but quality stuff. Good people to deal with and lifetime transferable warranty.
You might want to consider a complete liner assy. I did for my stove and it drafts great and no creosote buildup at all with an insulated liner.

Contact US Stove Company who now own Ashley for insert flue sizing . Maybe they have parts? Or try the hearth website for suggestions on flue sizing. Lots of good people there too.

The Hearth

"Custom Built Chimney Parts

If you can draw it, we can build it!
We know that there are times you need a unique chimney part, a hearth or chimney part built to your specifications, to make your installation perfect. We know that you need this custom part fast! And we know that you want it built with quality and good looks.
Most custom chimney parts are quickly made and take approximately 1 week for fabrication.
We urge you to give us a challenge! If you can dream it, we can build it. We can make anything - even the kitchen sink! So our customers always get just what they need, just how they want it - and they get it fast."

rockford chimney

I installed a big old rugged Warner boiler plate stove in my fireplace.

I didn't want to hack the fireplace damper out in case I ever wanted a fireplace again, so they fabricated an ovalized flexible liner that would clear into the smoke chamber by just removing the steel damper at the hinges.

I also had them fabricate a connector/cleanout-T to connect the stove to the liner. I insulated the liner and also purchased a cap/cover assembly. The T-connector cleanout comes off with 4 screws and the cap cover with a large stainless hose clamp. To clean the flue I remove the cleanout cap and duct tape a trash bag liner to catch the soot/ash then go on the roof and plunge the liner with a brush and flexible fiberglass sections. With that done I move the stove a bit to cleanout the mouth of the T- from the stove.

Attachments

• w:stove connector T cleanout 3.jpg
    w:stove connector T cleanout 3.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 1
  • woodstove.jpg
    woodstove.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 1
  • chimney cap.jpg
    chimney cap.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 1
Thanks Mad Prof. I will do some contacting. I have welders and such, so I probably would come out better to do my own fabrication, but I'll let them quote.

Rancher, that's what I'm asking. What size to make the pipe. The stove is a slammer installation right now.

On a positive note, I was very pleased to go to bed at 10:30pm and wake up at 7am and there were enough embers to ignite wood. The heater blower ran ALL night and it was 23*F when I woke up. That is worlds better than the little buck I had in my old house would do. 4 hours tops for that stove.

Color me happy!

Back