Chimney Liners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find its always best to get a permit for anything I do. If a neighbor doesn't like something or gets pissed off at you and calls the township on you, you're covered.

I built my hearth, put in my woodstove and chimney myself. Got it permitted and inspected. Aside from the fact that I knew more about it than the township's inspecors, if I didn't do that and had a fire, you think my insurance company is going to pay my loss?

Nothing in the township code.

Thank you all for the much needed advice! My original intention was to put a liner in from the begining when I told this guy I would buy a stove. When my chimney was inspected and I was told I didn't need one, I'll be honest...I wasn't so sure about that. I know I'm no expert, but I was thinking about the points I made in my original post...plus any potential hazards. I posted the thread to get some welcomed feedback on other opinions.

My good friend that owns the stove shop is going to pull some parts and put a liner together for me for a nice discounted price. So no worries, I'm going to go ahead with the liner.

I need info on chimney liners.

This is my first time using a forum! I am unable to find information or anyone who can help so I thought I would give this a try. I bought a house with a woodburning stove. However, the stove is on the outside of the home un-attached! I would like to but this free-standing stove in my home and attach it to the existing fireplace (where it once was). The home is 100+ years old and it is recommended that we put in a liner. I have NO clue how to do this or if I should even try. Than comes another situation, where do I go for help? I have looked and looked and cannot find anyone, anywhere to help me. Is this something that I should tackle or can someone suggest something to help with my search? Thank you! :confused:

OK, so I'm picking up the stove and a flexible liner tomorrow!:clap:

Does anyone have a good link or info on tips to install the liner? I don't think I need to have gone to rocket school, but it might help hearing from someone who has already installed one before.

Again, the liner will be installed in an existing chimney.

I put mine in in an afternoon. You'll need some un-faced fiberglass insulation. Pack the pink stuff around the liner to seal out drafts (I couldn't reach from the bottom so I did this at the top) and caulk the cap to keep out rain.

sedanman said:
I put mine in in an afternoon. You'll need some un-faced fiberglass insulation. Pack the pink stuff around the liner to seal out drafts (I couldn't reach from the bottom so I did this at the top) and caulk the cap to keep out rain.

Are you able to take any pictures?

At this point the insert is installed and burning, the cap is sealed down so , sorry no pictures. It really is a simple process. I had to flatten the liner a little to get it past the damper then make it round again to hook up to the insert, no rocket science. You can do it.

sedanman said:
At this point the insert is installed and burning, the cap is sealed down so , sorry no pictures.

I had a feeling that would be the case!

sedanman said:
It really is a simple process. I had to flatten the liner a little to get it past the damper then make it round again to hook up to the insert, no rocket science. You can do it.

I'm sure I can do it...I just want to do it safe and do it right. The damper looks a little too tight...would have to flatten it too much I think (BTW, how much is too much?). I was going to sawzall it and or take a grinder to it to make room for the pipe. Rather not do that and ruin the damper though if I don't have to.

Fiberglass insulation is not a good idea. It burns at temps that your liner will easily acheive. Use refractory insulation or kaowool. It handles those high temps with no problem.

Install a block off plate at the bottom of the liner run (from the inside the firebox on the top) to prevent cold air from coming in and use a little kaowool in there, then make a block off plate at the top of the run (from outside on the roof) or install a cap.

Use furnace cement at the bottom plate and silicone caulk at the top cap. You want to make sure the top cap prevents any debris (or water) from falling in the chimney in the space between the liner and the inside chimney chase. If this happens, after awhile the stuff that falls in can cause a fire.

Sweep the liner (chimney brush) after about a month or two of burning to see how things are going and to gauge how well you are burning. Should have just some dry powder come out of there. If it's black and sticky, then you need to modify your burning technique. This will tell you how often you need tosweep your chimney. Usually once a year cool.

Glad to see you went with a liner. Sleep well. KD

danielmccurdy said:
Well, its done! Got everything in and wer'e burning!

Glad you lined it since you have no clay liner in that chimney. A chimney fire would have burned the mortar out of that chimney.

From the pics, it looks like your liner is galvanized. If it is galvanized, watch those higher temps because the zinc will burn off. Steel is prone to deformation at higher temps too. NO chimney fires! Inspect your liner every year too.

Enjoy the aspects of wood heat! :popcorn:

The whole flu is lined with terra cotta, it starts just above where the photo stops. The liner is stainless steel.

Last edited:
I think I'll consider it...as of this moment I'm done messing with it for a bit. Its been a distraction in many ways to the other things I need to get done! I guess to get optimum efficiency it would make sense to close that area off...but I have the top of the chimney capped so I guess I'm only losing what it would take to warm that area up too, which isn't much. Again, its something I'll look into later.

I was heating about 1300+ sq ft with it yesterday. Its pretty warm today, so I didn't bother building a fire before leaving for the office.

That vermiculite stuff...its what they use to insulate potery kilns right? Is it expensive? Where can I get it? Can it be salvaged somewhere?

Nice work.

The other advantage that new liner gives you is increased draw and no need to remove the insert when cleaning the chimney.

Pat yourself on the back.

BTW, use a poly chimney brush. Some say steel is fine, some say it's not. Personally, I dunno. KD

Latest posts

Back