chimney sweep log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used one but always thought they were intended more for maintenence during the burning season rather than as a substitute for running a brush up and down the chimney. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected before long. :)

I've never used one but always thought they were intended more for maintenence during the burning season rather than as a substitute for running a brush up and down the chimney. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected before long. :)

+1

Get a brush, rods and ladder then do it yourself.

Are those sweep logs worth it?

No, No, and No.

Is the increased risk to burning down your home worth the cost differential (that is, the difference between the old rate -- what you are willing to pay the sweep -- and the new rate, less the cost of a "sweep log")?

Safety is the main reason I have professional certified sweep clean my wood stove chimney every year.

For the price that you pay someone to show up and sweep your chimney, you can buy your own set of brushes and poles and do it yourself. Lowes has a kit right now with 24 feet of rod and a brush for 40 bucks. If you dont have a ladder, borrow a neighbors.Someone around you has got to have a ladder, and sweeping a chimney isnt complicated.
Depending on the species of wood, and how dry it is, you may not have to sweep your chimney every year anyway. I burn mostly oak and hickory, seasoned at least a year, and have only swept my chimney once in three years. Even then, very little came out. Did it just to shut the wife up.:clap:

I used one of those once. It scared the hell out of me. It burned sooooo hot. I will never do that again.

I wasn't trying to substitute brushing, I have a set and use them every year, I just figured I would give one a try for maintenance during the season.

Never again.

No, No, and No.

Is the increased risk to burning down your home worth the cost differential (that is, the difference between the old rate -- what you are willing to pay the sweep -- and the new rate, less the cost of a "sweep log")?

Safety is the main reason I have professional certified sweep clean my wood stove chimney every year.

How do you get certified as a chimney sweep?
Cant imagine any certification necessary, either its clean or its not.

How do you get certified as a chimney sweep?
Cant imagine any certification necessary, either its clean or its not.

It's necessary where I am to be registered/certified/licensed with the county government.

That doesn't mean anyone can't do the job, but they can't do it by calling themselves a chimney sweep or they are technically breaking the law and putting their ability to conduct business in the county in jeopardy.

The viability of self sweeping will depend on the setup you have.

For me, for example, it's not an option.

I have a straight vent pipe close to the NW corner of my house, but it runs two stories high, and the pipe extends more than four feet above the highly angled roof pitch. So a super-long telescopic brush and cleaning from the inside is the only option for my setup.

For someone who has a single-story pipe, gentle roof pitch, and relatively easy access, it's within the realm of consideration.

Thats pretty wild. I would have never dreamed in a million years that a "certification" would be necessary for a chimney sweep.
but in retrospect, I guess it would be a good idea to have some insurance in case some nut burned his house down and tried to blame you.

The only occupation that is required to have any "certification" in our area are electricians, anyone else can get a business license and hang out their sign for whatever else they want to do.

:confused:

I throw a CSL in and go clean out the clean out. I think they work pretty well. You do need to be careful, you HAVE TO CLEAN OUT HORIZONTAL STOVE PIPE AFTERWARDS. The creosote falls down and collects on the bottom, creating a potential problem.:cheers:

The viability of self sweeping will depend on the setup you have.

For me, for example, it's not an option.

I have a straight vent pipe close to the NW corner of my house, but it runs two stories high, and the pipe extends more than four feet above the highly angled roof pitch. So a super-long telescopic brush and cleaning from the inside is the only option for my setup.

For someone who has a single-story pipe, gentle roof pitch, and relatively easy access, it's within the realm of consideration.

Yep mine is very steep too. 9 Gables on the house. I have a dedicated ladder with hooks on the end that hook over the ridgetop. I crawl out a skytlight opening from the attic and up that ladder. Even then the chimney's are damn near 6 feet tall above the roof top. Last time I had too drag a small step ladder with me. Not allot of fun. :(

Messier, but I did my old chimney from the inside.I didn't have a "telescopic" brush, just kept adding sections until I got to 40' and felt the brush hit the cap.
It was one of those triple wall manufactured fireplace chimney; boy did it creosote up before I added a liner and a Jotul.

I tried one of those logs once and it seem to help turn the creosote into dry flakes that brushed off easily. I brush my chimney two times a season. takes about 45 min.

I used 1 a season for the past 3 years with decent results. It seemed to dry the creosote up and it all falls into the cleanout which I emptied right after. The important thing is to read the instructions, which states ONLY to put it into your stove over coals and not just throw it into your stove with wood still burning inside. It should smolder and smoke a lot over the coals which helps. I could see how throwing it into a stove thats too hot could cause a chimney fire...Just my opinion, I'm sure a lot of people might not agree, but I like them and think it's a good option if you need a little cleaning without any down time.

Use one chimney sweeping log per year and never worry about brushing out your chimney again !!

Oh, and i have a Tony Little Gazelle for you........ hop on it for five minutes and lose forty pounds !!:cheers:

Latest posts

Back