chimney sweeping logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm wondering what everbody thinks of these chimney sweeping logs. It's not that I'm tring to get out of sweeping the chimney I just thought throwing one of these things in the fire every once and a while might make the job a little easier or even less frequent. Is this a good idea or should I stay away from them?

They never made any sense to me.The are supposed to create flue fires,the one thing you are trying to prevent.

My understanding is that they are supposed to release some chemical that dries out the creosote to the point that it loses its grip on the chimney and falls back into the fireplace. My concern is that this could just make the creosote harder to remove or that these chemicals could be corrosive or something. The Slick50 of the wood burning world!

My understanding is that they are supposed to release some chemical that dries out the creosote to the point that it loses its grip on the chimney and falls back into the fireplace. My concern is that this could just make the creosote harder to remove or that these chemicals could be corrosive or something. The Slick50 of the wood burning world!

A good creosote remover that you spray on the firebox and directly on the fire works pretty well. My sweep says that the creosote generally just flakes off making the job easier (but apparently not cheaper). The logs seem a little to gimmicky to me.:biggrinbounce2:

I've used the CSL (Chimney Sweep Log) in my old pre-fab fireplace and did notice that when I opened the flue before the next fire, the vibration of the flue in the chimney pipe caused black stuff to fall into the fireplace. It wasn't very much, but the chimney was not very dirty either.

Stay away!
+1
Probably something like aluminum oxide impregnation or similar, silly and gimicky imho, a hot fire every couple of days (or less if you're burning well seasoned wood) will do the same thing, also think that these 'hot' burners aren't very good for yur chimney esp. if you have a stainless insert. My off da cuff opine. Basically I think what these products do is 'crisp' the creosote so it falls off, a super heat for a short time. The chemicals involved would be of concern to me, not just that your neighbours may be breathing it, but you (AND YOUR FAMILY) will too.

:cheers:

Thanks for the replies. I was suspicious that like any "snake oil" they would do as much harm as good but thought it couldn't hurt to ask. I'll take your advice and stay away!

Thanks again

+1
Probably something like aluminum oxide impregnation or similar, silly and gimicky imho, a hot fire every couple of days (or less if you're burning well seasoned wood) will do the same thing, also think that these 'hot' burners aren't very good for yur chimney esp. if you have a stainless insert. My off da cuff opine. Basically I think what these products do is 'crisp' the creosote so it falls off, a super heat for a short time. The chemicals involved would be of concern to me, not just that your neighbours may be breathing it, but you (AND YOUR FAMILY) will too.

:cheers:

Actually, the creosote "destroyer" I spray in my fireplace (also recommended for woodstoves and pellet stoves) has one chemical-acetic acid glacial. While I wouldn't recommend drinking it (I seem to recall my high school chemistry teacher taking a swallow of acetic acid his point being that it is an ingredient of vinegar I guess), a pretty safe chemical. Although like all chemicals only as safe as the user. I have never noticed an odor. The key is spraying it on a hot firebox and a hot fire to activate it immediately. Relatively cheap, seems to work and safe so I say why not?

If you use descretion with your fire ,you won't get an excessive amount of creosote build up.As rule you might get a build up in the last several feet of the exiting flue because of the cooling effect of the outside air.

I get very little myself using a 10 inch square lined chimney that was actually built for a fireplace .For all intents and purposes it should actually have a 6 inch liner in it due to the fact it now houses an air tight insert.I haven't had any problems so I'll let sleeping dogs lie.I do check it though several times during the heating season.

Actually, the creosote "destroyer" I spray in my fireplace (also recommended for woodstoves and pellet stoves) has one chemical-acetic acid glacial. While I wouldn't recommend drinking it (I seem to recall my high school chemistry teacher taking a swallow of acetic acid his point being that it is an ingredient of vinegar I guess), a pretty safe chemical. Although like all chemicals only as safe as the user. I have never noticed an odor. The key is spraying it on a hot firebox and a hot fire to activate it immediately. Relatively cheap, seems to work and safe so I say why not?

Acetic acid is just plain vinegar, hell I drink it every time I have fries!!!!

No idea what it will do to a fire, but damn usefull as a cleaning agent in a magnatue of things!

It is a descaler. In my neck of the woods it is the active ingredient in products that remove lime and calcium deposits which by the way is why you use vinegar to clean coffee makers. In this application once it is activated by heat it causes a chemical reaction with the creosote that when all is said in done causes it to flake and not adhere to the chimney. Amateur chemist says that the acid neutralizes the water (base) component of the creosote. At least that is how it was explained to me. Again, maybe it ends up being the equivalent of fairy dust but if it does no harm and has the potential to help (evidence thus far suggests it does) I figure it is worth the couple of bucks. With the logs you not only get whatever the active ingredient is but all the filler to make the log which would cause me more concern.

I dont think they are worth any thing I just get a ripping hot fire going every week or so while I watch it and quite a bit melts out If you burn to cool not enough air or banked all the time you will build creasote quickly. Nothing beats a cleaning with a brush about 3 times per heating season

Back