Chinese Carb to Fit Echo CS-590?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
It took me months to get my Echo CS590 fixed. Brought it home, cut for a very short time, and put it in the workshop. Made sure it contained new ethanol-free gas with Biobor EB stabilizer. Took it out after a few weeks, started it to make sure it was okay, and went out to buck a tree. The saw would not start. This was maybe 10 minutes after it ran in my workshop. Nothing I do seems to help.

I thought maybe I flooded it. I tried pulling the cord with the throttle depressed, as suggested on Youtube. No dice. I let it sit for a day to dry out. It still would not start.

My new solution to chainsaw carb problems is to buy Chinese carbs. It beats paying over a hundred dollars to a repairman each time I want to use my saw. Unfortunately, I can't find a cheap Chinese knockoff of the Walbro HDA266 carb that goes in the Echo.

Question: does anyone know if there is another carb that will fit this saw? I was thinking of getting a Chinese knockoff of a Walbro carb for a 60cc Stihl.

I didn't see one either. Maybe go to walbro website and see if another is compatible. I have a couple Chinese carbs too and they have been working well so far. They were cheaper than a walbro rebuild kit.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

You're wanting to put a Chinese carb on what sounds like an almost new saw, all before performing any basic trouble shooting. As mentioned above, pull the plug, with the plug out flip the saw over and pull it over a few times to clear the oil fuel, put in a new plug. Also just because the fuel is non ethanol and has a stabilizer in it, doesn't necessarily mean it's still good fuel. Get a can of trufuel just eliminate fuel issues. I will also guess the carburetors not adjusted properly because, most dealers are useless I don't know how to turn the carburetor on a chainsaw, the fact that it took months to get the saw back suggests dealer incompetence.

It took me months to get my Echo CS590 fixed. Brought it home, cut for a very short time, and put it in the workshop. Made sure it contained new ethanol-free gas with Biobor EB stabilizer. Took it out after a few weeks, started it to make sure it was okay, and went out to buck a tree. The saw would not start. This was maybe 10 minutes after it ran in my workshop. Nothing I do seems to help.

I thought maybe I flooded it. I tried pulling the cord with the throttle depressed, as suggested on Youtube. No dice. I let it sit for a day to dry out. It still would not start.

My new solution to chainsaw carb problems is to buy Chinese carbs. It beats paying over a hundred dollars to a repairman each time I want to use my saw. Unfortunately, I can't find a cheap Chinese knockoff of the Walbro HDA266 carb that goes in the Echo.

Question: does anyone know if there is another carb that will fit this saw? I was thinking of getting a Chinese knockoff of a Walbro carb for a 60cc Stihl.

Stock carb is 268A.You can find them on ebay but i really doubt the carb is your problem.Bad carbs can cause a lot of trouble but a non start issue is really hard to be a carb related.Start with a new plug and set the carb needles per manufacturer directions.

Stock carb is 268A.You can find them on ebay but i really doubt the carb is your problem.Bad carbs can cause a lot of trouble but a non start issue is really hard to be a carb related.Start with a new plug and set the carb needles per manufacturer directions.
??? A bad carb will prevent fuel getting to the engine. So yes a bad carburetor will prevent a saw from running at all. That said doesn't sound like the issue here though.

You're wanting to put a Chinese carb on what sounds like an almost new saw, all before performing any basic trouble shooting.

Where did I say I didn't do any basic troubleshooting?

The saw is nearly two years old; not really new. The warranty is worthless for carbs, as I'm sure you know, and if I take it to the local repair place, they will keep it for a month before they even look at it. Then they will probably charge me over a hundred dollars. When I got it back last time, I lost a couple of weeks of use because when I tried to cut a tree, loose screws fell out of the saw, and I had to order new ones. I didn't dare take it back to the dealer. They would probably still have it.

This was the GOOD authorized repair center. The first one kept the saw for over a month and couldn't make it run. I had to go take it from them. Actually, that was the second one. When I arrived at the first place, they told me their mechanic had quit. They didn't bother letting Echo know so they could update their website.

I really like Chinese carbs, but then the OEM Zama on my Jonsered is stamped "China," so it shouldn't be a surprise. I paid $11 for a new carb for an Echo pole saw. It was actually superior to the original. More adjustments available without pulling plugs and so on. There is really no reason not to do a carb transplant every year, unless you can't find a Chinese knockoff. Beats paying a mechanic lawyer wages or struggling to revive a plugged carb. It's actually cheaper than buying premixed fuel.

The plug looks just fine. As I pointed out, the saw worked great, and then as soon as I got it to the pasture, it refused to start. I don't think the plug went bad in 5 minutes. A carb blockage seems more likely. I have checked everything I could without opening up the carb. I tried locking the throttle and pulling the cord over and over, as Youtube gurus suggest. I shot fuel directly into the carb, too. The engine hasn't even farted.

I suppose I can put a new plug in there for the hell of it. I could be wrong.

I really like Chinese carbs, but then the OEM Zama on my Jonsered is stamped "China," so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Chinese manufacture is itself no indication of either poor or good quality.
The quality of indigenous Chinese brand carbs may be inconsistent and unpredictable but I'd expect a Zama carb that's made in Zama's facility in Shenzhen to be just as good as a Zama made in Japan.

You put fuel down the carb and it didn't fire, that usually means no spark. Take the plug out, lay it on the cylinder then pull it over a few times to see if you have a spark.

So no one knows of a Chinese carb that will fit.
You have tunnel vision. Try the suggestions above before replacing the carb. A two year old saw is quite new, and the internals of the factory carb is quite robust to deal with today's poor fuel. The off brand Chinese carbs are at best hit and miss, sometimes they work sometimes not, none I have used work as well as a good oem though. And if need be the old carb is easy and cheap to rebuild.

I'm still betting the case is flodded with fuel, like I suggested before take the plug out flip the saw upside down and pull it over, install new plug. If that doesn't work check for spark.

You have tunnel vision. Try the suggestions above before replacing the carb. A two year old saw is quite new, and the internals of the factory carb is quite robust to deal with today's poor fuel. The off brand Chinese carbs are at best hit and miss, sometimes they work sometimes not, none I have used work as well as a good oem though. And if need be the old carb is easy and cheap to rebuild.

I'm still betting the case is flodded with fuel, like I suggested before take the plug out flip the saw upside down and pull it over, install new plug. If that doesn't work check for spark.

Tunnel vision is working hard on saw when an $11 carb and 5 minutes' work will fix it. Thanks to China, many carbs are now disposable. Still hoping someone will come up with a Chinese offering that fits.

To say replacing a carb “once a year” because they’re only $11.00 is a little far fetched, because most carbs generally last the entire life of the saw, sometimes more with no maintenance whatsoever.

However, whatever floats your boat is ok.

I have no idea what carb fits your saw, but the one that’s on it surely has some markings?

The manufacturer of that carb surely has info on it on line..?

There are pictures and specs also?

You should be able to cross it up, or make something work pretty easily with several new carbs and the carb on hand for parts?

That’s a pretty simple saw..

Or not.

Someone said 268a, I believe..

PRETTY PLEASE just try a $4.00 spark plug. I recommend NGK or Denso.
I have had more than one that either wouldnt run at all or would run for 2 or 3 seconds and stop. They showed fire with the plug held against the cylinder, but would fail under compression. Quicker and cheaper fix than a carb.

I do plan to try a new plug, as mentioned above. Meanwhile, I have a carb rebuild kit on the way, in case nothing else works.

I have so many saws, and go through so much mix, I don't use any added stabilizers. I use Stihl Synthetic, made in 5 gallon batches. I often let my 660 sit for several months at a time, and my Super 1050 might only get started once or twice a year. Let them sit with a full tank. What am I doing wrong? They always start up and run. I do buy a lot of saws at auctions that have set for years, and when you dump the fuel tank the goop runs out like pure oil. Those often start and run with just new lines. If they don't run, they go on the shelf for some future day when I have time to clean the carbs. I do use China carbs on my 4 strokes with great success. I was going to put a kit in my 3 1/2 HP pressure washer. The kit was $11 and a new carb was $12. Got the carb, stuck it on, and didn't even have to adjust it. Sorry, don't know where to find a carb for your Echo. I wish they were making Electronic Ignition Modules in China. I have a beautiful Echo 750.

Clearly, you don't know what you're doing. You're supposed to use fresh stabilized no-ethanol fuel, run your saws dry, and then still get varnish. I can probably give you lessons.

Latest posts

Back