Chinese Stihl's? Something to think about...:)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Before you get all upset, this is the reality of the global manufacturing paradigm..and not necessarily a bad thing...AND might explain some of what we have seen this past couple of years...I still bet the "pro" level Stihls are German. Don't know for certain. And to those who would criticize this, my bet this trend is coming to your favorite brand too. Doesn't mean they will market those products here, but doesn't mean they won't either....

http://www.stihl.com/stihl-factory-in-qingdao-china-celebrates-10th-anniversary.aspx

And my bet is there are more than a few from ALL around the globe, including China; trying to qualify.....for this:
http://www.stihl.com/become-a-stihl-supplier.aspx

AND we knew this...:)
http://www.stihl.com/STIHL-group-builds-new-ZAMA-production-facility-in-huizhou-south-china.aspx

I'm not a fan of the world market or global economy aspect but I don't think my one opinion will change it. That being said, most products from China are cheap in price but also cheaply made. I would be more inclined to spend a few extra dollars for a quality product that will last. Unfortunately in today's market that does not appeal to those companies manufacturing these products anymore. That doesn't just apply to chainsaws. It's everything now days. I work in the automotive industry and see the cost cutting first hand and the profit margins on the final product. It's rediculous! And the vehicle built these days don't last. They are engineered to have a preditermined life expectancy. So my point here is that if all manufacturers move to this business practice then I suppose it doesn't matter where it came from anymore does it? Everything is becoming desposible rather than rebuildable and reusable.

I hate the way things are being built now. If they can make it pennies cheaper to make and sell, they will do it. Just the other day I was using a new Stanley prybar doing a kitchen demo, not being overly abusive on it or anything, and the thing is bent in more places than not in just a day. What is that about? I believe AVE touched on this downfall on one of his recent videos; we use tools today that were made 100 years ago, in 100 years tools made today will only be able to be seen in history books. Built to be replaced. Even the high quality tools have their places where they cheap out, nothing is ever as skookum as it looks now days. Every company is in it to get rich, even someone like Nicholson files are not what they used to be. If they could deliver a better lasting product (which wouldn't be all that hard) I would gladly pay more to have it last longer. They must figure since their competition is cutting costs and quality, they can get away with it also.

The fact of the matter is that we all say 'I'm happy to pay more for a high quality products that is made in a 1st world country' but in reality the manufacturers would not have gone overseas if this were truly the case. Paying more for high quality is an ambition we have, when push comes to shove and we're asked to get our wallets out, we don't follow this ambition and look for cheaper value.

You're kinda right. I rebuild saws for other people around here and some want it done as cheap as possible and that certainly doesn't mean going to the Stihl dealer for parts. We're caught in a catch 22 when it comes to this, cheap vs. quality, jobs for us or jobs for Chinese, mexicans and others who work cheaper. I realize that Stihl isn't American but they do assemble some saws here. I would be happy to pay a little more for quality but the last AM 390 piston/cylinder kit I bought was $19 vs. whatever Stihl would have charged. I did have to pay a bit over $4 for postage..

The Stihl factory in Qingdao mostly if not exclusively assembles homeowner grade products such as the MS170 and MS180 (at least those sold on the European market).
Personally I don't question Stihl running a factory in China, but Stihl selling products such as the MS170 and the FS38 in a world where cheap Chinese Zenoah clones are everywhere and people have not only 24oz steak appetites and Big Mac budgets but pea sized brains as well.

All things said, manufacturers moving production to cheap labor countries is NOT a means to indulge their customers - it is a means to enrich CEO's and shareholders!

Just look at the automotive industry, huge names make and assemble numerous car models in China, yet those same cars are among the most expensive of the manufacturers product line - and customers are willing to hand out the asking price because "It's expensive, I have to buy this car to show it off!"
Well, that's the impression I get in my area anyway!

If the Chinese can make an entire chainsaw, granted low cost & low quality, for let's say 50$ out the factory doors, where do the reputable brand name manufacturers come up with the price differential (depending on saw model)?
Development of a straightforward tool that has been around and reinvented for decades?
Quality control?
Doubtful!
It's pure profit out of the customers wallet directly into the shareholders pockets!

Am I willing to pay extra for a quality product?
Generally YES!
How does it make me feel when said product failes a month after the warranty expires?
Cheated!
Will I opt to buy a replacement from the same manufacturer?
Absolutely NOT, I'll even stop buying any product from that manufacturer!
Will I buy a "highly affordable" replacement at a fraction of the price of the reputable brand product with equal or longer warranty?
YES, without thinking twice!
Does that make me a cheapskate?
I don't know, You tell me!
I purchased an product twice to be able to use it past the reputable manufacturer's brand name warranty, which is usually shorter than the warranty of an "affordable" alternative, and oddly enough the "affordable" alternative can work well past the warranty with same usage.

There is a saying: "You get what You pay for!"
Luckily One can get significantly more than One payed for while purchasing a cheap product.
Unfortunately nowadays a high product price does not guarantee high product quality and it can easily be troubled with issues and/ or fail prematurely.

Apologies for the long post, this topic triggered me!

Cheers

WDE is right. The cost savings realized when manufacturers move to countries such as Mexico seldom result in lower prices for consumers. Some car and truck models are built in both the US and Mex, but you pay the same for either one.

Much of this was covered in the recent election. :)

The Stihl factory in Qingdao mostly if not exclusively assembles homeowner grade products such as the MS170 and MS180 (at least those sold on the European market).
Personally I don't question Stihl running a factory in China, but Stihl selling products such as the MS170 and the FS38 in a world where cheap Chinese Zenoah clones are everywhere and people have not only 24oz steak appetites and Big Mac budgets but pea sized brains as well.

One thing I realized doing a lot of world travel as a younger person, is that narrative about small wallets and pea sized brains is both arrogant and wrong. While tools and education levels vary, there are no shortage of really smart people everywhere. Usually what screws it up for folks is the political class, and there are systems that absolutely hinder progress for those within its grip. Where they can afford MS170's wood still will get cut where needed. Offering lower cost tools to help places grow into a better place can't be a bad thing. I don't have a problem with Stihl building those low cost options....some are pretty reliable as well. And if using lower cost manufacturing environments can get better tools to those who need them that's awesome. If we with the resources choose the less expensive route, often times it is because we don't need the more expensive options. The entire "Pro level" argument, 75 percent of those out there making smaller pieces of wood can get it done with an under $400 dollar solution. To those who make a living, its a business decision they have to make and often times the interest in having better equipment along with the economics related to performance and reliability make the Husqvarna 390xp's and Stihl MS661's the best choice. I would bet most here on this site would get their job done with a Husqvarna 455 or Stihl MS390. So I don't "look down" on those who have MS170's as their only saw, as options, education, and economics change maybe they will see a reason to move into better saws..for them to decide. We can decide our own situations..

WDE is right. The cost savings realized when manufacturers move to countries such as Mexico seldom result in lower prices for consumers. Some car and truck models are built in both the US and Mex, but you pay the same for either one.

Much of this was covered in the recent election. :)
yup...

One thing I realized doing a lot of world travel as a younger person, is that narrative about small wallets and pea sized brains is both arrogant and wrong. While tools and education levels vary, there are no shortage of really smart people everywhere. Usually what screws it up for folks is the political class, and there are systems that absolutely hinder progress for those within its grip. Where they can afford MS170's wood still will get cut where needed. Offering lower cost tools to help places grow into a better place can't be a bad thing. I don't have a problem with Stihl building those low cost options....some are pretty reliable as well. And if using lower cost manufacturing environments can get better tools to those who need them that's awesome. If we with the resources choose the less expensive route, often times it is because we don't need the more expensive options. The entire "Pro level" argument, 75 percent of those out there making smaller pieces of wood can get it done with an under $400 dollar solution. To those who make a living, its a business decision they have to make and often times the interest in having better equipment along with the economics related to performance and reliability make the Husqvarna 390xp's and Stihl MS661's the best choice. I would bet most here on this site would get their job done with a Husqvarna 455 or Stihl MS390. So I don't "look down" on those who have MS170's as their only saw, as options, education, and economics change maybe they will see a reason to move into better saws..for them to decide. We can decide our own situations..

You just remembered me why I usually don't last twenty minutes in a room with an American...

I'm bothered by respected brand names moving to Mexico or the orient and lowering the quality while keeping the price high. I haven't bought Craftsman tools recently but I'm told the quality is not what it once was and it's difficult to get them to honor the lifetime warranty. Now that Stanley/B&D has purchased the Craftsman name my guess the quality will be even less soon.

Carhart is another example, way overpriced and mostly if not exclusively made out of the country. I thought most Carhart was USA made as I used to drive by their factory in Kentucky. I was coat shopping recently at a farm store and the Carhart stuff was almost twice the price as the store brand and all made in the same region. I wouldn't mind paying extra for a name brand if it's higher quality and made in the USA.

The Chinese Stihls are junk, plain and simple. And they are going to tarnish the brand's image over time because they are low quality and riddled with problems...oftentimes straight from the factory. Stihl is trying to compete with the market share of cheap box store brands while riding the coattails of their namesake. If the S/N starts with an 8, just say no.

In a modern facility the quality comes from the money spend on the robots who actually build the things and the tolerences that are allowed from the quality control. Being in Europe, Asia, or America doesn't really matter. It's just that for example the japanese, swiss or austians have a culture of being proud of that quality and on average are willing to spend more on those robots and don't allow sloppiness for the sake of margin.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Back