chip box ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmer4670

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Question??

I am getting ready to paint our chipbox and thought it would be a pretty good time to install some vents in the roof. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on wether the vents actually help in preventing blowback when chipping or are they a waste. If they are worth the trouble, how many would you suggest in a 12' box.

Thanks,
Palmer

They help a LOT when chipping dusty stuff. Most trucks I've seen with them have vented areas approx. 6"X12" that are spaced along the sides about 6" from the top and on 2½'-3' centers.

I have a really hard time believing that those vents help all that much. Since this is another hydraulic situation and the chipper is pumping a lot of air with some solids along for the ride, I try to visualize the air flow. Since large amounts [cfm] and high pressure [psi] air is moving into an open container, where is most going to leak out? Not the small holes. then the holes get screening which cuts down on the air flow even more. Before I would ever cut holes in a box I'd want to talk with an air handling engineer to see what they think. Unless they think that it would reduce dust blow back significantly, I'm going to believe they don't work all that well.

I talked with a guy who had vents and lived up here where we have freezing winters. Snow would come through the vents and cause the chips to freeze into gobs. He had another non-vented chip truck and that one didn't get frozen gobs of chips.

Tom

Latest posts

Back