chipper bearing failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't think lubeguy is trying to sell anything... but also think it's not that complicated to share information.

if you don't want to type, show us some links...
ceramic bearings may have a possible use here.

turbo chargers have bearings that live for hundreds thousands of miles. there's lots of high intensity bearing uses out there.

no need to be bashful about sharing information. for instance if this article explains a certain point, post a link.

-----------------------

Maximizing Bearing Life with EHD Lubricants

Sibtain Hamid, Santotrac Fluids, Lubricants and Greases

Early theories assumed that metal-to-metal contact was the mechanism that transmitted force in rolling contact, with the lubricant acting primarily as a coolant. But experimental measurements of the interfacial film thickness have shown that a distinct lubrication regime exists between hydrodynamic and boundary lubrication. This lubrication regime is termed the elastohydrodynamic (EHD) regime because of the presence of a lubricant film and because elastic deformations occur at the metal surface.

Today the EHD property that many lubricants exhibit under high stress is well known. Basically, for a few microseconds the fluid lubricant becomes a semisolid and conforms to the changing geometry of the metal surface which is itself slightly deformed. This brief transformation enhances protection between metal surfaces, limits wear on the surface of a ball or roller bearing, and prevents fatigue failure (Figure 1).

http://www.machinerylubrication.com...e=Maximizing Bearing Life with EHD Lubricants

lubapp-max-fig1.jpg

Do you not have to have 50 posts before you can sell something here?

Longtime lurker, infrequent poster, but ....

Lubeguy, it seems to me that sites like this are about getting as much useful information to as many people as possible in an efficient manner. In your first post in this thread, you told the original poster that you could help him with his bearing lubrication problem. The fact that you expressed that in a post, rather than in a private message to him, leads me to feel that you have now brought upon yourself some degree of responsibility to the readers of this thread to tell us something that you consider useful regarding the lubrication of woodchipper bearings.

I have been trying for some time to decide on a single grease that I can use in the vast majority of my equipment so I can avoid mixing greases while being reasonably sure that I am adequately protecting my machines. I'm cureently using Valvoline NLGI #2 Grade Lithium Complex EP grease, but wouldn't mind spending more money on something that could be shown to me to be better. Do you know of such a grease? If so, could you please share its identity with me, and the other participants of this thread?

If it's Amsoil, great - I use Amsoil motor oil in my tractor and think it's excellent; probably the best out there except maybe Royal Purple, or maybe Redline. Whatever you like as a good all-around grease, please share your opinion with us. I don't think many people are going to be contacting you directly, nor do I think that's the best way to make use of this forum. Besides, you've already used more keystrokes explaining why you don't want to expound on your original post(s) than it would have taken to simply do so in the first place. Thanks in advance.

Back