Chipper chips in OWB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASETECH

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was wondering if chipper chips could be used to fuel an outdoor wood burner, or at least supplement the wood supply? Anyone tried it? What are your thoughts - experiences?

I don't see why not. i wouldn't think they would last very long though. But if you have a big ol' pile, it would be a good way to get rid of it.

Friend and I are playing with the idea of a chips only OWB. He and I burned some chips last winter along with all the froth? from the splitting operation. As long as I didnt get too carried away with the amount thrown in it worked fine. If I put too much in at once it would leave a layer unburned until stirred and smoke was heavy. My boiler has "over fire air injection" in other words it blows in the door over the fire. His OWB injects air up through grates and he could burn a larger percentage of chips vs chunk wood. Moisture percentages will affect the deal too. I own a chipper so the chips were dry, at least as dry as the wood was. We tried some chips from the county yard waste dump and being wet and half rotted they didnt work very well at all.

If you could get the by product of someone making their own diesel mix that with the chips. Make a square box to press the mixture together. After it dries you would have a chip log. I have heard this would work but I have no idea.

Scott

Many euro boilers are designed to run on chips. You just need an auger to feed them in at the right rate.

Latest posts

Back