Chipper Property taxes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bpkeeper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Do you guys have to pay property taxes on your registered chippers where you live? I recently received a property tax bill for upwards of 500 bucks, for a 2004 morbark that I paid 5500 bucks for. Any input??

It’s issued at a percentage of value. Usually around 1.5 percent. You should be paying around 82 bucks. Maybe contest the valuation. What did they value it at???

I have no problem paying my share, but it's getting out of hand. Last week my town valued a rotted out 78 chevy k20 at 34,569.00.......

I have no problem paying my share, but it's getting out of hand. Last week my town valued a rotted out 78 chevy k20 at 34,569.00.......

You need to call the tax assessor at the town hall and have a talk. Do your homework and have figures worked up. If you don’t have any proof of what that machine is worth they will shrug and tell you too bad.

This is why I won't live in CT. Then again people are moving the NH and ME and will turn these states into CT all over again. :(

How can anybody defend taxing passive objects? This must be very damaging for all, taxes should in princip only be on income, and to be progressive. How can people with low income own anything if this is the method. Or of course I might be very mistaken on how it works.

It's very interesting to see how tax works in the us, a lot of people think it is a tax paradise and I have a feeling that might not be the case.

Sent fra min Nexus 5X via Tapatalk

How can anybody defend taxing passive objects? This must be very damaging for all, taxes should in princip only be on income, and to be progressive. How can people with low income own anything if this is the method. Or of course I might be very mistaken on how it works.

It's very interesting to see how tax works in the us, a lot of people think it is a tax paradise and I have a feeling that might not be the case.

It is interesting to hear a perspective on taxes from someone in another country.

In some ways the US can be considered a low tax country, as half of the people here pay no income tax, and the highest income tax is 35%. So coming from a European country those rates sound low. But this is only part of the picture.
At the federal level we pay a progressive income tax, Medicare, and Social Security that come out of our weekly pay check before we even get paid. There is also a corporate tax, capital gains tax, and even a death tax.
Then we are also taxed at the state level. Each state has its own tax system, most on income, a few only have sales tax, but many have both.
Also you pay property tax at the county level on the house and land that we own. There are also taxes and fees on vehicles and licenses.
If you live in a large city, you can also pay city taxes.
When you stack all these taxes up especially if you live in California or New York City, as much as 70% of your money can go to pay taxes. However I live in Tennessee where there is no income tax at the state level (although I do have to pay 9.75% sales tax). I also live out of town so I only pay county property tax, and a wheel tax on my vehicles. Because I don't have a high income and have 3 kids, I pay very little in federal income tax. But all the other taxes get rolled into the cost of the products I buy, so I really only pay taxes when I buy something.
Without getting too political this is also one reason why I want the Fair Tax passed, because I understand how much taxes are embedded under the current system.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

So an average American pays quite a bit taxes, here in Norway the tax % is 22 on income both for people and businesses, people with very low income don't pay tax. Sales tax is 25% so it's high and of course taxes on energy is quite high.

And the the tax on ordinary persona income has several steps so if you earn much you pay som more.

But the taxes includes free healthcare, free school and university and quite cheap kindergarten and a basic pension. A good sick pay are also included, most people are if not absolutely happy with it they tolerate it as long as the services are good enough.

The county's have a possibility to take property taxes but that's are very unpopular.

bpkeeper you must be speaking of personal property tax on business equipment, if you did not file a statement,report or what ever they call it. the locals have the authority to assign a cost and then tax you on that amount. They may or may not do a physical inventory. In your case it seems they know you have a chipper a quick google look up of price for a commercial chipper - and so much for your wallet. I get taxed every year on personal property business wise right down to the number of paper clips i have on hand as well as any inventory for sale. They do not tax my computer but they tax the programs on it, the printer is taxed as well. many years back I even got taxed on the portion of my home that housed a couple machines that were too large to get into my small shop. MY home was in a different municipality than my shop. Lets just say the the entire gov. taxation system has gotten to the point of being overbearing ( believe me I have a lot of other very colorful language regarding said subject that is unprintable). Things tax wise are a far far cry from the 50's or 60's even adjusting for inflation .

You need to call the tax assessor at the town hall and have a talk. Do your homework and have figures worked up. If you don’t have any proof of what that machine is worth they will shrug and tell you too bad.

I totally agree. They sent me a personal property tax bill for my old trailer for my stump grinder because they were under the impression it was my stump grinder. I went in there with a friendly face and resolved the issue. If you machine is truly worth less than they assessed it at you should be fine. You may have to actually go to a meeting to contest though.

But my old man is a tax assessor and he always tries to work with people saving them as much as possible. He tries that much harder if your nicer because believe me they pretty much get yelled at all day long by tax payers.

Latest posts

Back